"A" Model Co-Stars in New Chevy Commercials

jflimbach

We dropped three brand new Chevy Sonics a couple months ago down at Eloy, AZ. The aircraft was N121TG, ex-USAF 56-0511 operated by International Air Response. They've released some of the footage on YouTube and it should be showing up on the TV soon.

Links to a couple of the better ones so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2eRHLs2Mwc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-XPZH3OoOI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ealq_Tamdho&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-XPZH3OoOI

These are similar to the one we did for Advance Auto Parts last year using Honda Civics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyE7vjM6eC4

You can also see N121TG in the movie "Fast Five" out now, and the next episode in the "Batman" movie series to be released soon.

Also appearing for the U.S. Army at YPG once or twice a month.

John Limbach

CMSgt, USAF (Retired)

Loadmaster

"Older than the airplane, but not by much"

I know in the EPs, it mentions not jettisoning rolling stock, because of the possibility of it getting caught up in the ramp area. How did you guys do it? It looked like there may have been a drift strap involved?

No drift strap. At "Green Light" I cut the 1-inch tubular nylon loop that was providing aft restraint. The strap you see wrapped around my arm was attached to the anchor cable and I used that to maintain my balance when I went down to cut it. Once the strap was cut the skydivers pushed it out.

On all of the drops where we roll a vehicle out on its wheels, something on the frame or rear axle contacts the end of the ramp as it goes out. To prevent damage to the ramp we tie a piece of 3/4" plywood down on the aft end of the ramp. That takes any impact and the ramp is not damaged. At least so far.........

I always remembered all the "A"s I ever saw had three blades, but I thought I had seen somewhere that many had been ungraded to four. That's not fair, though. To me, the "A"s had a different sound than the "B"s and "E"s I was around. of course that was in the first years of the "70's, and that was so far back that it only took ten to make a dozen..

I always remembered all the "A"s I ever saw had three blades, but I thought I had seen somewhere that many had been ungraded to four. That's not fair, though. To me, the "A"s had a different sound than the "B"s and "E"s I was around. of course that was in the first years of the "70's, and that was so far back that it only took ten to make a dozen..

If I remember right, the A's were converted to 4 bladed props due the A's losing blades and causing crashes. Seems like I recall one in Michigan in the 70s but that was before I came to Hercs.

Every LM who ever rode in the back of a 3 blade "A" is seriously hearing impaired. Compared to the 3-blade, the cargo compartment of the later models and 4-blade "A"s is dead silent.

Was the cargo 'chute barometrically opened?? I couldn't tell from the video. Much better lookin' 'chute than the old green things I remember. looked like an outstanding job by all. I don't think many people, outside our shared sphere of experience and interest, could appreciate it or look at it the way we all do.................. Damn, i'd like to fly one of those,just once, please, please, please???

LMAO!

Giz

Every LM who ever rode in the back of a 3 blade "A" is seriously hearing impaired. Compared to the 3-blade, the cargo compartment of the later models and 4-blade "A"s is dead silent.

After working on A-models and flying Blind Bat A-models at Naha for 18 months, I received orders to CCK. A week or so later, almost before I was done in-processing, I was sent on an input to CRB as a crew chief on an E-model. The first thing I noticed was how thick the padding/insulation was and how quiet it was with the 4-bladed props. And to top that off ---Low Speed Ground Idle!!!! I thought I had died and gone to heaven!!! Of course by the time I left Naha and the A's, my hearing was shot!!!

By the way Jim thanks for keeping us in touch with the A-Model world!!!!

Ken

After working on A-models and flying Blind Bat A-models at Naha for 18 months, I received orders to CCK. A week or so later, almost before I was done in-processing, I was sent on an input to CRB as a crew chief on an E-model. The first thing I noticed was how thick the padding/insulation was and how quiet it was with the 4-bladed props. And to top that off ---Low Speed Ground Idle!!!! I thought I had died and gone to heaven!!! Of course by the time I left Naha and the A's, my hearing was shot!!!

By the way Jim thanks for keeping us in touch with the A-Model world!!!!

Ken

Casey, could you delete my double post----I would but don't know how!!! I could try but would probably delete the whole damn forum!!!

Edited by Mt.crewchief
Double post---sorry!!!

The big improvement in maintainability that I remember most going from As to Es was the difference in how the engine fuel control mounted on the accesory gearbox. On the A there were about eight studs with the couple on the back side almost impossible to access. However, on the E the control was mounted via a Marmon clamp. Of course this was only one of many improvements, but for some reason it's the one that sticks in my mind.

Was the cargo 'chute barometrically opened?? I couldn't tell from the video. Much better lookin' 'chute than the old green things I remember. looked like an outstanding job by all. I don't think many people, outside our shared sphere of experience and interest, could appreciate it or look at it the way we all do.................. Damn, i'd like to fly one of those,just once, please, please, please???

LMAO!

Giz

I'm not sure where they got the chute. It was packed in a G-12 bag, but obviously something else. I know they told me, but I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast and the combination to the airplane most days. They used a standard skydiving automatic opening device which obviously worked OK. Kind of a sloppy looking deployment, I thought but they weren't taking off any points for style.

I was at the local Chevy dealer yesterday. No one had seen the video. I pulled it up and before I knew the entire sales dept. was watching. For the next several minutes there were no cars sold as everyone was clustered around the PC. And when I left someone was calling to let everyone else know about the video.

• 1 month later...