C-124 airdrops

gizzard

Was watchin' Flying in Alaska, and saw a short bit that showed a C-124 doin' an airdrop, sorta looked like CDS pallets, couldn't tell for sure. Looked like it was coming out behind the rear of the wing. I Think the 124 had some sort of elevator there??? I only saw an Old Shaky a few times,, mostly remember how their brakes squealed. anyway, I hope somebody out there can fill me in on the drop. I had no idea they could do that. An inquiring mind wants to know..............

Giz

I've only been on the 124 at the USAF Museum, but I think any form of airdrop would have to come out and drop to clear the tail. I'm pretty sure that CDS predates heavy equipment airdrop, so that would make sense.

I used to have a professor in college that was a 124 pilot. Unfortunately, he passed away eight years ago.

Here is some info on the C-133A/B. Except for transporting missles this aircraft's normal crew was only one loadmaster, missles took two. There were no computers for the loadmaster. All CG computations were long math by station not compartment to determine percent of mac. The loadmaster had a bed downstairs to sleep on.

http://www.militaryheritage.org/C-133.html

There was a fellow here that just passed away who was a loady on 133's from Travis. he was a patient in the cancer clinic that my wife works in. One day he was talkin' about bein' in the AF and my wife asked him what he did. he said " Aw, you probably wouldn't know what it was, I was a loadmaster on C-133's". My wife said you shoulda seen his face light up when she said ' Well, my husband was a loadmaster on C-130s. I bet i know more than you think." They had many good conversations during his treatment series, which unfortunately, were not successful. But my wife stills says he was a real sweetheart. I think it was kinda neat that that association helped him find a little happinesss in his struggle. No matter what, guys, I reckon we are all brothers......and ya never know when one will pop up........

Giz

Giz

I dont know about all nurses having a God giiven talent. I do think that there are those who work hard at developing a talent and hone their skills over many years. Nursing takes a mixture of hard work, dedication, education and a real desire to help others. I sort of know what Im talking about here. After my career as a C130 electrician, and an additional year as a civilian electrician, raising a young family etc, I started working in a Pennsylvaina State Hospital as a Psychiatric Aide. The job actually paid more because I had been working in a non unionized plant. Long story short, I used my GI Bill to attend Nursing School in Jamestown, NY. Eventually got a direct commission back into the Air Force, retired as a Major, worked 16 more years with the Florida Dept of Corrections and retired with 33 years as a Psychiatric Nurse.

Sparks,

You ought to put that in your bio. A lot of us here are pretty interested in who we meet in this forum and it's pretty disappointing when we click on a name and the bio is empty. All of us have interesting backgrounds, especially you.

Don R.

im reading this and laughing my ass off. Wife is sitting beside me on the front porch askin if i lost my mind. All I could do was point to my laptop and laugh. She said, "Oh, that must be the Herky Lurkeys your talking to." Seems like the whole family gets involved in these things. Have a great day!