C-124 airdrops

gizzard

Ya know, after bein' on this site for so long, and swappin' stuff back and forth, and readin' all the comments, I was thinkin what if we could take all of us, put us into one squadron, think what would happen then. I truly am amazed at the skills, knowledge and experience, both on the herk and after, that you guys display. What a totally awesome group of people!! I am glad you all tolerate my rants and off the wall comments..... They ARE gonna change my mesds to make be behave better!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!! Ya'll have a great Thanksgiving, and keep a thought for those in harm's way, and those who have not come home............

Giz

Giz

Ive got to hand it to you folks. When I first got on this site I was a little worried about fitting in. But from my first post Giz and everyone else has made me feel welcome and through you all, Ive been able to relive some of the best times of my life. All I can say is thanks.

Now, about LAPES...........

Giz, I think you should have worn your airpak more often. lol!!!

Myers

Now,now. REAL men have leather lungs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, really believe it or not, i was smarter than that, MOST of the time. I'm just this way naturally.........................Why the hell else would I use my late cat's name as my forum name??????????

Giz

Ive got to hand it to you folks. When I first got on this site I was a little worried about fitting in. But from my first post Giz and everyone else has made me feel welcome and through you all, Ive been able to relive some of the best times of my life. All I can say is thanks.

Now, about LAPES...........

You think it's fun postin' with these guys????????? Well, you would just bust if you got to meet some of them, like I did last summer. I am still laughin' at some of the tales, many of which I have my own version, and that's what was so neat. Ya gotta be one of us, in any aspect, aircrew,maintenance, life support, whatever, to really appreciate it. I think Casey and Bob deserve a huge thanks for puttin' this thing together in the first place, and allowin' us to just run amok sometimes. I wonder what our predecessors from WWII would have done had they had some form of association like this???

Giz

Good question. Those WW II, Korea guys made a lot of history and are dying off at a very fast rate. I think I read somewhere that WW II vets are dying somewhere around 1000 per day. I dont know if that is a correct number, but the US is losing a lot of it's history. It is good to share with other vets some of the stories we all have.

yep, the WWII guys are goin' at a rate of about 1000 a day and there can't be that many left. They are in their eighties andnineties now, too. the Korea guy ain't far behind, but don't think that their rate is quite that high, but then there were a whole lot less of them, too. As for the nam guys, the popular concept is that we are dyin' much younger, with an average age of about 62 at time of death. pretty grim until ya look at the obits everyday. I don't know how it is in you guys areas, but around here it seems that only about one in five of our age , from their obituaries, ever even SERVED ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!! and they are dyin' same as us???? I think it is as much lifestyle and environment as anything else, with the added concern of AO. Still amazes me that the bad-back high school football players and such were not fit for military service, and still they are croakin' too.

Just never know.. but am glad I'm still vertical and warm and will, apparently, at least at this point, continue to be so for a while....... One last thing, too, I don't think the WWII guys and the Korea guys were allthat open about their service either, until we started with the caps and stickers, and license plates and all that. I'm glad they did, too, because I try to thank anyone of them I see, even though many of them pretty much disregarded us. life is funny, aint' it??

Giz

Good question. Those WW II, Korea guys made a lot of history and are dying off at a very fast rate. I think I read somewhere that WW II vets are dying somewhere around 1000 per day. I dont know if that is a correct number, but the US is losing a lot of it's history. It is good to share with other vets some of the stories we all have.

They made history cause they weren't hog tied with all the stupid ROE and flight/maint. rules/regs we picked up after Korea. We would have ripped through the VC and NVA and North Vietnam like a dose of salts thru a goose. WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' RULES WHEN WE FIGHT A WAR!! There...I feel better. Bill :)

They made history cause they weren't hog tied with all the stupid ROE and flight/maint. rules/regs we picked up after Korea. We would have ripped through the VC and NVA and North Vietnam like a dose of salts thru a goose. WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' RULES WHEN WE FIGHT A WAR!! There...I feel better. Bill :)

You said it well, brother.................

Giz

• 8 months later...

In the Cancer center I go to retired GI's like us abound. Before, during and after the various treatments it is great to talk to brothers and learn of their experiences. As

weshould know by now Agent Orange seems to be the main Cancer agent.

My wife tells me about the incredible courage, determination and support most of the patients in her clinic show. AND that the vets, o matter what their medIcal issues, are at the top for that. and when she finds out one of her patients is a vet, from any era, she always thanks them for their service, talks to them about it if they want to, and provides just a little more for their comfort, education , and hopefully, recovery. I can only hope that if ever get stricken by that hateful disease, I can show half of the character these folks here in my area do.

Giz

• 1 year later...