I sure miss flyiing in the mighty Herk

Muff Millen

Did ya all notice, or is it just me, that the gear-raiser looked like he was about to punch out???? and the guy made it sound like a Thunderbirds lead callin' the show.....Also, I bet the loady had a hell of a ride. I noticed the bank angles,too, and at one point it almost looked to me like he rolled the thing. I had a few rather wild rides, but never anything like that. I wonder if our old early 60's models "E"s could have done that??? at least and stayed together for very long.....

Giz

The current production Js for AMC are the stretch variety. Spec Ops and a few of the early slicks (the ones Baltimore had and the Hurricane Hunters) are not stretched.

Just wonder, how many tail skids get dragged of those stretched models? Especially doing no flap landings. I had a squadron commander drag the skid on a 50% landing coming back from Rote in '75.

Good for that then. Now an AC can't deny things like that. How about hard landings? Is that recorded as well. After going through a lot of assault landings in training I had a good idea on what a hard landing would be. In the 16th had a student prang one in pretty good. Felt the nose gear strut poking at my seat! Wrote up a hard landing and maintenance was sure pissed, but.....

Question on current Herc operations. A question was raised on another forum on the Herc's operating weight. Last time I flew an E/H model was '85. I seem to recall that the operating weight at the time was around 79k. If it's not OPSEC what's the approx OW on the current E/H's? I guessed it to be around 82k now with all the new electronics added. Probably a lot more than that for the MC's. Thanks.

I remember one time at Pope, I was in the maintenance van. A Jr pilot landed in a thunderstorm and the tower couldn't locate the aircraft. I was cleared to drive onto the runway and spotted the air frame at the end of the runway. Both outboard engines were broken off. The crew had blown the crew door and scattered. I don't think the Jr. pilot ever flew again.

The plane tells you it exceeded the bank angle then puts in in the record for maintenance to find!!

Good for that then. Now an AC can't deny things like that. How about hard landings? Is that recorded as well. After going through a lot of assault landings in training I had a good idea on what a hard landing would be. In the 16th had a student prang one in pretty good. Felt the nose gear strut poking at my seat! Wrote up a hard landing and maintenance was sure pissed, but.....

I don't know if the current ones do it, but the early British ones wouldn't let you crank engines until the info was downloaded into the MX computer for analysis if something was exceeded. I know they wanted to change that...

First thing, where are his gloves,? looks like he missed a few safety meetimgs, not so smart!!!!

Can't speak for all MAJCOM, but currently gloves are only required for takeoff/landing/combat...

D I noticed the bank angles,too, and at one point it almost looked to me like he rolled the thing. I had a few rather wild rides, but never anything like that. I wonder if our old early 60's models "E"s could have done that??? at least and stayed together for very long.....

Yes, they can...and have ;)

Question on current Herc operations. A question was raised on another forum on the Herc's operating weight. Last time I flew an E/H model was '85. I seem to recall that the operating weight at the time was around 79k. If it's not OPSEC what's the approx OW on the current E/H's? I guessed it to be around 82k now with all the new electronics added. Probably a lot more than that for the MC's. Thanks.

I recall slick E-models in the early '90s coming back from depot about 4-6K lighter once they removed old wiring...memory says it was low 80K range. MC fitted for combat can top 100K...

They don't do no flaps in the stretch J (in the sim only). A 50% flap landing is like a 0% flap in and regular herk. Most of the landings in the J are all 100% flap landings.

Guess they plan on never having any kind of flap system failure.

Brits don't do no-flap in stretch either (K or J). They do no-flap approaches and go-around at 100ft or so. They focus on flying an accurate final, establishing parameters, and then talk through the rest. They do them in the sim, of course. However, the will do sim 2-engine go-arounds in the plane (K-model too)...

The J-model can now take off from places it can't land...which is a little bit comforting. I've been tasked into places and had different loads than originally planned for that made takeoff...interesting.

You never flew combat, did you?

Actually Sam no I didn't, like the warrior you are. I just busted my ass keeping Bous flying. I tried to get on flight status with the Bous, since I had been flying recips at WPAFB before CRB, but didn't have jungle school. The comment was made in regard to "not a combat situation" and not having a FE on board.

"You never flew combat, did you?"

No by God I did not but I worked my ass off day after day and night after night so you could.

I went from A1C to MSGT doing that on C-130's of all types for 14 years so that the aircrews would have a safe aircraft to fly, what ever they were doing.

So let me tell you that it took a lot more than flight crews to fight and fly.

Thank you!

Edited by Dutch