Little Rock 63-7784

bobdaley

I was working on updates to the inventory last night and cme up with a question.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of 63-7784? It was struck from the USAF Inventory at Little Rock in Oct 2009.

Is it still at the Rock? A trainer maybe?

Thanks

Bob

BTW did anyone notice that the first of the 74 H models to become a ground trainer is at Sheppard.74-1676. Those 74's weren't born yet when I got off AD.

I was working on updates to the inventory last night and cme up with a question.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of 63-7784? It was struck from the USAF Inventory at Little Rock in Oct 2009.

Thanks

Bob

BTW did anyone notice that the first of the 74 H models to become a ground trainer is at Sheppard.74-1676. Those 74's weren't born yet when I got off AD.

Now don't THAT make ya feel old?????????? LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Giz

It's about time the AF got these kids a 130 that will even remotely look like the ones they will be working on when they get to their PCS base. At least they aren't using B-47's to train 130 mechanics on like when I and several guys on this site used in tech school. What a shocker it was to go straight to 130's after being trained on B-47's...now Giz THAT makes you feel old, ha ha. Bill:)

Speaking of old...Snowyday made reference to a 30-40 rifle. I wonder how many folks out there have ever seen a 30-40? My Dad had one and killed a lot of white tails with it, passed it along to my brother who also killed a lot of deer with it, passing it on to his son, and it now resides in far northern Wisconsin, still sees action each season although 30-40 ammunition is getting really hard to find. By the way, the 30-40 dates back to WWII. One hell of an accurate weapon if you were big enough and strong enough to carry it around all day!! Chris

Naw,I was a line handler for the Montgolfier brothers, once though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, tinwhistle, I have seen and shot a 30/40, a Karg no less,oneof the originals with the sidebox magazine. Actually, the 30/40 was older than WWII. It was developed, I think in the late 1800's, early 1900's. I think at one time it was looked at to be the US Army's infantry weapon. That is what the one I shot was...... I have a Gewher88 Mauser, dated 1888, also, god awful cartridge a 8mmx58 or something like that , It has a jacketed barrel, is just plain ugly........ And hell yes, I shoot flintlocks, too.

Giz

Since we are already off the original thread I will comment on the 30-40 Krag! Giz is right, it was developed in 1898 thus the name "98 Krag" They are now worth a lot of money in original unaltered condition! Of course a lot of them have been "sporterized" over the years. I know that first hand as I have probably restocked, reblued, and scoped 50 of them. Not too many years ago an un-altered one would cost way less than $100.00 -----now it is hard to find one for less than $600.00!

If I remember right, the Krag took the place of the Springfield 45/70 as the official Govt. long arm!! (no Giz, I wasn't around when that took place)!!

As for Mausers, I love all of them!! My name on the firearm forums is "kennymauser" !!

Now, where were we????

Ken

Getting the train back on the tracks, I remember picking up 2 of the 74 H-models at the factory. One was 74-2063 -- don't remember the other one. Until we got rid of all the E-models, the FE had to carry 2 sets of the -1 and the 1-1. What a hassle!

Oh, and no, before anyone beats me to it I didn't stand fire guard with a bucket of sand and a burlap bag.

OK, you gun-runners can go back to the "98 Krag."

Don R.

It's about time the AF got these kids a 130 that will even remotely look like the ones they will be working on when they get to their PCS base. At least they aren't using B-47's to train 130 mechanics on like when I and several guys on this site used in tech school. What a shocker it was to go straight to 130's after being trained on B-47's...now Giz THAT makes you feel old, ha ha. Bill:)

Bill,

I went to tech school at Chanute (Jet, Over Two Engines) and trained on B-52's. When I got to McGuire we kept going past all those nice looking C-135's and they dropped me off in front of this mole with wings and PROPS. I kept thinking there must be some mistake. I don't know anything about prop driven airplanes. Best thing that ever happened to me in the AF.

Sonny

Now don't THAT make ya feel old?????????? LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Giz

You bet it makes me feel old. I was assigned to the 130 shop at TAC when the 463rd was receiving those brand new 74s from Lockheed.

One morning received a message from the Dyess DCM complaining about how much money they were spending to buy 20 man life rafts and all the survival gear contained therein. This because their new acft. were arriving without this equiptment. This gear was GFE. So called the IM at SAALC to find out the problem. He allowed he was not aware of the requirement which I knew to be bs. AFLC as part of the procurement process notified all ALCs of the GFE they were to provide. After work that day was setting in the club stag bar and struck up a conversation with the guy on the next stool. Turns out he worked in the TAC Comptrollers Office. Explained Dyess's problem. He allowed there was a means of recouping the funds the wing had spent. He worked with his wing counterpart and made it happen. Sometime later got a call from the IM whining about his funds going away. Classic example of a lazy incompnent IM. There were many.

Thanks

Bob

Yeah Bob, for awhile it was our designated FE preflight trainer until a couple of the systems started giving up, plus our switch to H2s. It had the wings taken off & is going to be a LM trainer. I'm not certain, but it may have possibly become the AMP LM fuselage trainer.