62-1799 and 1859

bobdaley

• 3 weeks later...

Would you know where Tom Waryha be? Tom was @ McGuire N.J in Nov 1980 along with Four Naha Troops. Tom was PCS .

Last time I saw Tom Warhya was at Kadena AB, Okinawa in approximately 1986-87 time frame. I walked into the NCO club for lunch and he was sitting at a table with some other guys. I think he was stationed at Clark AB and they had come to Kadena for some type of a maintenance conference. That was the last I ever saw or heard of him.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

E-Flight moved to CCK spring of 1971. The initial crews where put together with people who already had Top Secret clearances. Over the next few months we expanded to 5 aircraft as they returned from getting painted shiny gray. We also were converted from the 346th TAS, 314 TAW, to the 21st TAS, 374th TAW. We're under 374 Special Projects Office. We flew both TS missions and normal trash hauling. One of our aircraft bellied in while doing touch and goes at Tainan. Non E-Flight crews didn't get to fly our birds for quite a while after that. I was on the last E-flight crew to leave Taiwan in November 1973 when the wing had to abandon Taiwan. We moved E-flight to Clark with the 21st and 776th TAS. The 345th headed to Kadena. I left Clark n November 1975. They already were in the process of camo painting the birds and installing dual rails. It was funny that we actually had to turn a mission down because it would not fit inside the rails.

• 2 years later...

Wow. New to site. I'm Randy Odette and 62-1859 (218 Air America tail number) was my baby. Joined E Flight Naha Okinawa 1969 acft 56-0523 Mike Dintelman my crew chief. Met Tom Waryha at Naha we moved to CCK then to Clark AB. Darts, booze, chicks, and E flight was our life for about 11 to 12 years. Many many stories about life in E flight and fellow members and 1859. Thanks for the previous posts.

Hello Randy Odette, Tom Norton here, first, welcome to the site. Glad you are here, there's several of the E Flight guys around here. My baby was 64-0497, flew a lot with her and Dave Splawn. Threw a few darts myself with you guys. I still do to this day. I want to give a shout out to Vince, Gary Robinson, Jon, and Kaegi. 62-1859, 63-7868, 63-7879, 64-0497, 64-0515 five of the fine E Flight birds.

Tommy  

Thanks Tommy. Tom Waryha (upper new york) passed away several years ago. I attended along with Jerry Sepela and others. I think the E flight crew chiefs know why 1859 was eat up with rust along with the other E flight birds. Charley brewer's bird i think is the one that landed with gear up and locked. Shooting touch and goes. If i remember right crew pulled circuit breaker on warning horn so they didn't have to listen to it while doing touch and go's. Also lost an A model (Okinawa) at 20 Alternate. Flew into mountain end of runway. See ya Tommy. Midnight shift Clark AB/Utapao AB????

Randy, it's great to hear from you after all these years. Welcome to the C130 site. I been in touch with with Tom Norton that RE-Started the E-Flt Roster of members.  There are some pictures of Brewers 515 in the dirt on the A/Amer site. You and Bob Wellman were good crew chiefs together on 62-1859. I think 1859 is still flying and belongs to another country. I saw it a few years ago at Mc Guire when it was on the way across the Atlantic.   Thanks to you. You were the person that got me interested in E-Flight. 1859 was a Great Acft and the Thanks go to You and Bob. Keep in touch with Tom and I.   Vince Acquaviva  ( "Shorty") E-Flt