Operation Just Cause

rivars

Today is the anniversary of the Panama invasion, 20 Dec 1989. I had the excellent experience of being #7 in a 14 ship formation of Herc's dropping troops on Rio Hato. We lost #3 to ground fire, and recovered at Howard making a 3 engine approach and landing in formation. Hell of a ride. Then while waiting around base ops for repairs, had a ssgt tell me there was no smoking in the building. I looked at him and said "you have got to be shitting me" and went outside to listen to the gun fire coming from balboa.

Ahhh yes old Rio Hato, turn left out the Howard front gate and drive 30 minutes down the Panamerican hiway.It goes right across the runway at Rio Hato. I took a tour thru what was left of that base,while on rote to Howard in April after the invasion in December. This was Panamas special forces base. There is a grave of one Panamanian soldier there. Don't know why just one cause from the looks of the base our guys really ripped thru it. I have a floor tile from the base barber shop that took the force of a gernade or some type of exploision...weird impact left on it.

Hate to have been getting a trim when that round hit. I have some pics of Rio Hato but haven't figured how to post them. Good job Rick. Bill