flacuation oil cooler flap in flight

tassa

The only thing you could do is change the oil cooler thermostat, but tinyclark is correct. Technically, as long as the oil temp remains within limits, there is no reason to assume there is anything "wrong" with the motor. I've run into this situation a few times, and signed them off every time.

Sir I am observing that so some flight engineer give writ up .oil cooler flap cycling in flight with oil temp within limit.is t a deffect plz advise me.

This is not an issue (write up) unless the flap goes full open or almost full open when oil is (warmer) and full closed or almost full closed when the oil is (cooler)... It should only move a little at a time...

Does this bonehead FE not have ANY system knoweledge? Ask him what the other three eng. oil cooler flaps were doing. Or what he's observed on other aircraft. Usually FEs are beating thier chest about thier superior knowledge of acft. systems. Important stuff, like how many times a minute the nav. lites blink. I don't have acess to tech data but if you show him the system diagram maybe he'll understand. It's not rocket sicience.

Need to clairfy my prevous post where I said the flap will, "cycle open/closed". The reader may percive the meaning was the flap would fully open or fully close. Not the case. Inflight at cruise altitude with oat at say -40c to -60c my experience is the flap will cycle somewhere between 30-40% and 5-0%.

Does this bonehead FE not have ANY system knoweledge? Ask him what the other three eng. oil cooler flaps were doing. Or what he's observed on other aircraft. Usually FEs are beating thier chest about thier superior knowledge of acft. systems. Important stuff, like how many times a minute the nav. lites blink. I don't have acess to tech data but if you show him the system diagram maybe he'll understand. It's not rocket sicience.

Need to clairfy my prevous post where I said the flap will, "cycle open/closed". The reader may percive the meaning was the flap would fully open or fully close. Not the case. Inflight at cruise altitude with oat at say -40c to -60c my experience is the flap will cycle somewhere between 30-40% and 5-0%.

That is sure an uninformed FE, poorly trained, or an idiot. One of my guys and he would surely be heading for some remedial training. Maintenance folks sure have better things to do than take care of STUPID write-ups.

P.S. Nav lights blink 85 times a minute, 40 each for the B models....:D :-D

The poster doesnot use english as first langauge. Maybe the FE has one oil cooler flap doing something wierd. If the thermostat controller has an electrical fault could it not cause the oil cooler to postion the flap beyond the right setting? There by causeing the flap to cycle more then the other three?

Bob has it right just give words of advice...

Calling someone an idiotor a bonehead is pretty harsh and unless you are perfect better not throw rocks in a glass house!

In your operators manual it should discuss the operation of the oil cooler flap (cycles to maintain oil temperature in the range of ___ to ___) or something like that.

Ask your FE if the flap cycles full open and closed, the oil temperature when it opens as well as when it closes. What are the other three doing? Are they steady or cycle as well?

There is a fine line for both maint and crew as we must work together to make the aircraft operational and safe.

If you do not have extra parts swap the thermostat with another engine and see if the write up follows the part.

Communication is key to solve this issue as you both have information the other needs....

Fluctuation (oscillation) should not be a problem, unless it is occurring

outside of the 69 - 75C range. If the crew is stressing about it, replace

the thermostat. If this does not clear the problem, take a look at the

flap actuator position transmitter. Wiring on an old QEC kit could also have

you tearing your hair out

• 2 weeks later...

pjvr99 is right. We had a oil cooler flap that was fluxuating in flight but could never duplicate on the ground. Finally took a rubber mallet and gently tapped the actuator transmitter while having an ohmmeter connected. The resistance readings were all over the place. When we stopped tapping the transmitter, the readings went back to normal. Replaced the transmitter and worked well after that.

Now I can't find my keys either!!