Vietnam; A history, 1945 to present

tinwhistle

Hey guys, I'm not real sure if this is the place for this thread, but I'll give it a try. I just finished a history course at the local community college, titled: Vietnam; a History 1945 to Present. Attached is my final exam paper. There are a lot of Vietnam vets on this site and thought you may find this interesting. Blessed Christmas to all of you....Chris

Hey guys, I'm not real sure if this is the place for this thread, but I'll give it a try. I just finished a history course at the local community college, titled: Vietnam; a History 1945 to Present. Attached is my final exam paper. There are a lot of Vietnam vets on this site and thought you may find this interesting. Blessed Christmas to all of you....Chris

Chris, Great Job! I think you hit the nail on the head with your report.

Wow, Chris. That was awesome! Like bbsoto remarked, you hit the nail on the head. I'm just thankful that today's returning vets are treated like the heros they are. Whether one is for or against our war in Afghanistan, the military is respected.

Don R.

Good morning guys, thanks for the generous words. The text book was indeed Karnows book. I had it on my book shelf having read it some time ago. As it turned out there was a Marine Vietnam vet in the class also, the instructor is our age with two sons in the military. Between the two of us vets and his sons the instructor kept things pretty staight, despite the fact that he played his student deferment during Vietnam. Grades come out on the 19th. I'll let you know.....Chris

Why no mention of the Korean War Yes War not police action. It is still on no peace treaty has been signed. Just a thought.

Thought it was a fine report except for this omission.

Lost a brother there.

Dutch, certainly no disrespect meant in the omission of the Korean War. That was a calculated risk I took. The VFW and Legion halls are full of Korean War vets who deserve better than what they received. The other day I saw a bumper sticker on an old rusted pickup: "Never again will one generation of veteran forget another generation of veteran". A wake up call. Chris

Outstanding, Chris. I finally got it to open..................my only question is this..If ordinary people like us can see this shit, why in hell can't the countries leaders see it???? Oh, yeah their main interest is gettin' re-elected............and we dumb asses continue to send them back and elect pieces of crap like Bush, Obama, Clinton, and Carter who promise to lead us to the land of milk and honey, all the while promising stuff they cannot deliver, (like that cow Bachman sayin' she would drop the price of gasoline), when all the while most of the problem lies with those pieces of water buffalo shit in Congress who get there and stay. We served to preserve, but the average citizen has no idea what that means. I worked for the 2010 census for a while and met a guy who was a nam vet, actually worked in the airlift command group, and many of us when where he sent us, basically, and he said this 'If you never wore the uniform of this country, you are just a visitor.""" Damn few of those in DC ever did, many of those who did, have forgotten the experience. too bad they will probably never read Chris's report...............hell, they wouldn't understand it anyway...

giz

Outstanding, Chris. I finally got it to open..................my only question is this..If ordinary people like us can see this shit, why in hell can't the countries leaders see it???? Oh, yeah their main interest is gettin' re-elected............and we dumb asses continue to send them back and elect pieces of crap like Bush, Obama, Clinton, and Carter who promise to lead us to the land of milk and honey, all the while promising stuff they cannot deliver, (like that cow Bachman sayin' she would drop the price of gasoline), when all the while most of the problem lies with those pieces of water buffalo shit in Congress who get there and stay. We served to preserve, but the average citizen has no idea what that means. I worked for the 2010 census for a while and met a guy who was a nam vet, actually worked in the airlift command group, and many of us when where he sent us, basically, and he said this 'If you never wore the uniform of this country, you are just a visitor.""" Damn few of those in DC ever did, many of those who did, have forgotten the experience. too bad they will probably never read Chris's report...............hell, they wouldn't understand it anyway...

giz

Chris,I enjoyed reading your report. VIETNAM Just the word stirs a multitude of emotions. Anger - over the way we were welcomed home. Confusion - about how my feelings of patriotism could be construed as nieve by other americans who chose to accept deferements or avoid the draft. Dissapointment - that the political leaders sold us out. Sadness - that I had to keep my experiences to myself lest I be labeled an idiot for volunteering to go to VN.

VIETNAM Just the word stirs a multitude of emotions. Anger - over the way we were welcomed home.

Speaking of our welcome home, about a year ago I bought a baseball cap saying that I was a Vietnam Vet on it. Many times I have had people come up to me and say "Thank you for your service". I then tell all of them that when they see someone with a hat similer to mine saying that the wearer is a Vietnam Vet to not thank him for his service but to tell him "Welcome Home". After all we never got a welcome home. I all so think we should do it amoungst ourselves. So to all of the Vietnam Vets I say "WELCOME HOME".

Wow Dutch never thought of it that way. I was born in Sept of 68 so I was really to young to even know what all the to do about the protests and things against the military was about. My dad was TDY to Vietnam and got back 2 days before I was born, so as far as my experience with dad being gone it didnt play a factor. He wont talk about it all I know is he was just a 21 yr old kid.. I guess all you guys was kids. Brings a tear to my eye thinking how everyone was drafted to do it, and the ones that serve today volunteer not that one is better over the other. To me theres a difference between the 2 generations you guys didnt look for apreciation but sometimes i think the kids now want the recognition instead of being humble and thankful to serve the country. Maybe Im off on a rabbits trail somewhere I dunno. Just my .02. But to you who served WELCOME HOME Guys and thanks for doing what you was called to do.

giz

"Ordinary people like us" Now that's funny!

giz

"Ordinary people like us" Now that's funny!

pwylie,

Obviously you DO think that's funny!! You posted it twice!!!

Now that's what I call "ordinary"!!

All of the guys on this forum are ORDINARY to me.

Now, I'm not so sure about "normal".

I have found a second home here and I chose this "home" and really enjoy being here and reading "good stuff" like Chris's post!!!

Thanks for listening all of you "ordinary people",

Ken

pwylie,

Obviously you DO think that's funny!! You posted it twice!!!

Now that's what I call "ordinary"!!

All of the guys on this forum are ORDINARY to me.

Now, I'm not so sure about "normal".

I have found a second home here and I chose this "home" and really enjoy being here and reading "good stuff" like Chris's post!!!

Thanks for listening all of you "ordinary people",

Ken

KEN, Was just having some fun and cutting up with Giz. Hope no one took offense. I'm with you about finding a home here and enjoy reading the post daily.

Pat Wylie

P.S. Great post Chris.

I'm hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and from an old 316th guy at that................... i think I will have to go to my room............LMAO!!!!!

My definition of ordinary is the normal (?) responsible, hardworkin' American, may a better term would have been EXTRA-ordinary!!!!! As they said in 'Garden of Stone.".. "here's to us and those like us and damn few of us there are.!!!!!!!! ( or somethin like that)