My yearly question----Jan. 1st. 1968-- Acft. 56-475

Mt.crewchief

This has become a yearly question I have been asking since I joined the forum in 2007.

In Dec. 1967 I went on my first input to CRB on acft. 56-0475 from Naha (35th TAS).

I went with Sgt. Willard -crew chief, Dan Lafferty--assistant crew chief.

I was the third wiper of course! On Jan 1st. 68 I begged to go on a daily mission in-country and Willard reminded me that that was during my time off, but I was young and anxious to go! Lafferty decided to go with me. To make a long story short, I saw enough excitement to last me for a couple more years on that one mission!

I will not bore you with the details because if you look back to my previous posts the whole story is there!

What I am still trying to find out is do any of you guys on this forum remember anything about that day? Surely, what with the new members increasing every year, one of these days somebody (hopefully Willard or Lafferty), will remember this day.

I did a lot of research and am still searching but so far no luck! The historian at Maxwell has no record of this day in 374th history. Do any of you guys have any other ideas?

I would really like to hear from anybody that remembers this incident or has any ideas for further research! Bob Daley and Sam McGowan have both been very helpful!!

Probably the best way would be to post a reply or send me an e-mail or both.

I appreciate any input or comments,

Thanks,

Ken Carlson

[email protected]

In case you're wanting to reads my post it is on page 16 of my posts and starts with flight records!!

Thanks for looking,

Ken

Edited by Mt.crewchief
adding stuff again

Thanks Ken, I found it. Interesting, fun story. I have one similar to it from Oct. 1966 when one of the 776th aircraft blew both main tires one one side blocking the runway. Another OMS guy, Norm Plantz and I volunteered to make the repairs and the AC, a Capt. Willard Phillips was awarded the DFC for taking us in there. Some time ago I asked around this forum as to how to get some information on that particular mission and was ripped by another guy saying it was my job and to quit whinning about not getting an award. I just dropped it then. But the thing is, we maint weenies worked out butts off in some pretty dangerous situations and it would be nice to pass along a little something to one of my sons or grandson. There, thats my whinning rant for the day!!!! Chris

Thanks Chris for your reply and interest! One of the reasons I bring this post up at this time every year is to just satisfy myself that I haven't screwed up the dates!

I know the incident and location is correct but I always hope to find someone who can reminisce about my experiences with me.

I will put this away for a year now,

Ken

Chris & Ken,

I think all of us maintenance weenies have a story about the aircrews getting awards while we mechanics just get a ride back home. Me and another 2-striper, Gene Morton, flew up to some dirt strip in the middle of the night on a C-123 to change 2 tires on a B-model stuck on a muddy dirt strip. All we had was a reversed taxi light for illumination and a GTC blasting in our ears. We did get a letter of appreciation from the AC, though. The C-130 crew and the C-123 crew both got medals. Yeah, I know Chris, it was just my job.

When I went over to the other side (FE), I always went out of my way to show my appreciation for the mechanic's job.

Ken, I'll look for your yearly question next year.

Don R.

Oh, I alsmot forgot -- the nav asked us to sit in the back since we were covered from head to toe with mud. The AC overrode the idiot and said if I knew how to fly the thing, I could sit in his seat!

Edited by DC10FE

Don,

Thanks for the reply. "went over to the other side" I like that!!

You must have been one of the FE's that when you got to my plane to fly that said "chief is it ready to go?" If i said it was, that was good enough for you and you took my word! I always enjoyed my pre-flights with FE's that trusted me. Of course we still did the pre-flight together but much more at ease!!!

Happy New Year,

Ken