Wife vs C-130

tinwhistle

You guys will get a kick out of this. Wife (of 38 yrs) and I are driving up the road and I'm discussing the upcoming C-130 convention at Robbins. After a few minutes she says to me: "I wish you would talk to me as romantically as you talk about that airplane!" I think she was only partly kidding........Chris

yep you goota be careful what ya say and do.I asked my wife what she wanted for Christmas and she sadi " I want something that, when i step on it, goes from 0 to 200 in three seconds.' I got her a bathroom scale. sure glad she had her foot surgery, the basement was gettin REAL cold..

giz

Speaking of wives and C-130's, my wife still doesn't get the connection between me and C-130's. We hardly ever see them here in Montana so I guess all she has to go by is some of the slides I have dragged out over the years we have been married (nearing 40).

But, awhile back, we were visiting with some friends and I heard the tell-tale sound of a Herk flying over town. I jumped up and ran outside like I always do, and I heard one of the visitors ask-"what the hell is he doing?" and she answered "oh probably thinks he heard one of those airplanes he loves so much".

So, I think she does understand,

Ken

Man! I thought it was just me! You ever hear the line "it's time for you to go tdy!" or maybe "Isn't there a Pope trip coming up?"? (I was at Dyess at the time)... gads.

Mt.crewchief - good to know I'm not alone stepping outside to look up - no mistaking the sound of a Herk! Rare here (KLOZ) but on occasion we'll sight one passing over.

We do see a lot of 135 activity dragging t-tails, even spotted the ABCCC refueling last summer - but I'll take a Herk sighting anyday!

Rowdy

Run out to see a herk? Hell I used to do that when I lived in Crestview a couple dozen times a day. Here I dont think I will ever see one, we do have a white Cessna that fly's over every week but that's all the aircraft I get to see in our sky's.

At least my wife understands the "affair" with the Herk, or if she doesn't understand she at least supports my addiction :)we-haul.gif

You require a bigger shop/man cave. She was being serious.

Speaking of wives and C-130's, my wife still doesn't get the connection between me and C-130's. We hardly ever see them here in Montana so I guess all she has to go by is some of the slides I have dragged out over the years we have been married (nearing 40).

But, awhile back, we were visiting with some friends and I heard the tell-tale sound of a Herk flying over town. I jumped up and ran outside like I always do, and I heard one of the visitors ask-"what the hell is he doing?" and she answered "oh probably thinks he heard one of those airplanes he loves so much".

So, I think she does understand,

Ken

This is me. We have the special ops ones out of Kirtland. You can hear them when they fly out over the east mountains where I live. I will run outside and look up and wave. Just as I did when we lived at Clark.

Now I am doing it with the Ospreys when they rumble over the house.

Hey nascarpop, don't know how long you have lived in Palmdale but if you've been there long enough you may remember the blackbirds that used to fly out of plant 42. Seeing a herky is cool, I always ran out when we had them in Portland, but seeing the blackbird in full AB as it crossed Sierra Hwy then standing it on the tail and disappearing into the smog from LA was "AWSOME."

The 182nd IL ANG in Peoria IL has C-130s, that’s about 20 miles or 15 as the crow flies, from my house, so C-130s fly over several times each week. If I hear a C-130 in the distance I start looking for it by announcing “Herky Bird!†Friends, (none of them former military) know that I’m half deaf in one ear and three fourths in the other and are amazed that I can tell it is a C-130 before it is in sight. My wife is amazed that after all these years I still know “that soundâ€.

When we had our Loadmaster reunion at Dyess in 2005, my wife was volunteered by me to sit at the table to log in the attendees, hand out the agenda and talk with most of the guys and their wives. I think that experience meeting "us" and what an impact our time with C-130's had on each of us was pretty eye-opening. She no longer asks why I have that great big C-130 Model airplane in the Den or why anthing that hints at C-130's on TV or in movies is an absolute priority in our house. Used to have Herc's passing over all the time when they were at Ellington. Now ocassionaly one will fly over when the air show comes to town. Guaranteed to pull me out of the house. When passing through Abilene, I always go by the city airport to see if they are doing touch and goes and I always glance up when passing the Tye Truck Stop.

hey jconner2, where is the Tye truck stop? I retired from 29 years of over the road driving and only occasionally got out Abiline way, but don't recall that name. Abiline TX or KS.??

Abilene, Texas. It's on I20 just west of town on the South side. We did our drop approaches right over the top of it. There was a big tower in the parking lot that could be seen for miles. The drop zone was a few miles south of that tower. Also had the best steaks in the area back in the Mid 60's. Last time I drove through Abilene, it was still there. Some of the Dyess guys who retired in Abilene can chime in. Might have a different name now.

Some of the Dyess guys who retired in Abilene can chime in. Might have a different name now.

Tye Truck Stop! Man, that brings back memories. I was at Dyess in the early 1970's and again from 1983 to 1985. The truck stop used to be the place to go after a night at the NCO Club. Of course, back then, Taylor County was a dry county and the only place to drink was at the clubs on base. You could buy booze off base in the little town called Impact, though.

Don R.

Impact was very popular when I was at Dyess (mid 60's). Basically a single street on the North side of Abilene that had been incorporated by one guy. Had a Pkg. store and a convenience store and that was the town. They also had a club downtown where you could see visiting bands (Jay and The Americans, The Five Americans etc.) but I can't remember the name of it. At the Base, you got to see Jerry Lee Lewis, every 3 or 4 weeks. Of course there was Wrestling at Fair Park(?) and a drive-in nearby. Taxing my old brain trying to remember this stuff.

Lived under the airway between Dallas & Texarkana VORTAC, would hear a herky with a prop out of sync. and say something about it to the wife, she got to where she could hear what I was talking about and say ok fuss at the engineer.

Drank many cups of coffee at Tye truck stop.

Dyess was originally call Tye Army Air Field.

okay guys, I'm stil out here somewhere, and about fifteen minutes ago, I saw a Super Guppy pass over our house/// I must admit I heard the turboprops, but didn't think it was a herk, but my wife insisted I go out to look. I got my binoculars out to be certain. Boy was she impressed that I knew what it was and verified it by doin' a web search for photos to show here..AHHHH; small victories

Giz

Don, I know what ya mean...Since I rode the back of the bus, I was not well educated in such things, but it always seemed to me that the P3 had the same, or nearly so, engines, and so on as the herk except they were upside down. I was around them a fair amount when we would go to Torrejon or Rota, and they sounded the same on engine start, taxi, take off all that.........Maybe my mememory ain't accurate after 40 years, but that's how I recall it I used to be able to tell an "A" from an "E" by the sound, too...That Guppy looked like it had about a 100 knot headwind, it was chugging along so slow, on a heading of about 250-280.