CRB Rocket Attacks

Spectre623

Ken the crew chief shack was a 2 story building close to job control. Bottom floor was a lartine for the area and top floor was a flop house for crew chiefs waiting for their bird to land and the unassigned (55 day rotaters) APG's waiting to be snagged for rigging and other jobs. There may have been some spec. who hung out there too, don't remember. It had ac and a crappy TV that got Armed Forces TV shows and some ragged out chairs, sofas, etc. Not a fun place. Bill

Bill, Okay, that is the same place I call the ALCE building. I forgot what that stands for but it is like job control. That is also where we signed in when we first arrived on an input. I do remember going there and waiting for my plane to come in also. Yes it was upstairs also! My first view of a Vietnamese person was that of a female worker sitting on those stairs in their usual silk garb. She was quite unattractive and was picking at something on her belly! (a bad first impression)

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember that is where the bus stop was to go on to the 22nd. Replacement Battalion with stops on the way like the air terminal and Herky Hill! There was also a bunker right next to that building or partially underneath it.

Bill, I think we are both talking about the same place!!!

Ken

By the way, ALCE was the abbreviation for Airlift Control Element

Edited by Mt.crewchief
Adding new stuff

Yep Ken, you are right on all points. Funny how stuff slowly creeps back from long, long ago, right? Bill

Bill, another thing I remember seeing at that old building was the small red boxes with a hole in one end painted red. They had Chat Duc stenciled on them. After asking around I found out that Chat Duc meant rat poison!! Of course those little boxes were in the revetments and scattered all around the base, but my first sighting was at the ALCE building.

Ken

I seem to be having a "flash-back day"

There must have been some sort of check-in procedure when you arrived. I don't remember any. It just seemed like work, eat, sleep, work, eat, sleep, drink beer, etc...

I was there in 67 & 68 from Naha, 41st TAS. I have a photo of the movie theater, though. I will post it later. I crewed A models. Posted CRB Theater Photo.

Dallas, you might have never actually checked in yourself. The way we did it when I was going on inputs regularly, was that if there were no tire or brake changes etc. that took two guys, one of the guys (either crew chief or assistant) would check us in and go to Herky Hill and get us a room complete with a fart-sack,blanket and sheets. The other guy would stay with the plane until it launched again. Of course, everybody probably had their own routine!

By the way, your movie theater pic brings back a lot of memories!! I see Luther's projection booth!!

Ken

Neat pic of the bunker Sonny, I sure didn't know about it in 69-70. What part of the F/L was it on? That was a big ramp at CRB. For some reason my bird was always parked on the far row near the taxiway fatherest from the crew chief shack. Bill

Bill,

To the best of my recollection, it was just off the edge of the flight line where they parked all the A's. Never went to the other side of the base, always slept on my plane to protect her from those midnight requisitioners. Once she was OR I awaited my flight crew and at night I closed all the doors and used tie down straps to keep them closed.

Sonny

Look's like the other side of the base, next to the class six....

Never went to the other side of the base. Always stayed with my plane.

Correction, Never went to the other side of the base when I came to CRB with my plane. Did go to the other side when I was TDY right after I reported to Naha. Lived in the hootches. The bunker was just off the flight line where the A's were parked.

Sonny

Chris, Looking at the sand, the first thing I would say is Cam Rahn Bay. But after a closer look, the barracks look a lot nicer than the ones on Herky Hill. Wrong color also. Also, I see a tree----one with leaves at that!! Also, the mountains look to be in the wrong place and closer than CRB. I was never at Tuy Hoa. Could that be it?

I knew some guys at CCK that had been there on TDY's!!!

Is that young kid in the pic the younger version of that "old fart" on your avatar??????

I still look the same as my avatar!!

Ken

well, maybe nearly 100lbs. and 44yrs. ago.

Edited by Mt.crewchief
fessing up

Could very well be Tuy Hoa, spent quite a bit of time there. What I do remember about this picture is that the tin roofs were hotter than hell and at a certain time of the day the sun reflected off them and made a great target for rockets! Old fart???!!! Sometime along the end of May I'll make you pay for that!!!!!!! Chris

Could very well be Tuy Hoa, spent quite a bit of time there. What I do remember about this picture is that the tin roofs were hotter than hell and at a certain time of the day the sun reflected off them and made a great target for rockets! Old fart???!!! Sometime along the end of May I'll make you pay for that!!!!!!! Chris

Bring it on!!!!!!

Bill, Okay, that is the same place I call the ALCE building. I forgot what that stands for but it is like job control. That is also where we signed in when we first arrived on an input. I do remember going there and waiting for my plane to come in also. Yes it was upstairs also! My first view of a Vietnamese person was that of a female worker sitting on those stairs in their usual silk garb. She was quite unattractive and was picking at something on her belly! (a bad first impression)

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember that is where the bus stop was to go on to the 22nd. Replacement Battalion with stops on the way like the air terminal and Herky Hill! There was also a bunker right next to that building or partially underneath it.

Bill, I think we are both talking about the same place!!!

Ken

By the way, ALCE was the abbreviation for Airlift Control Element

I have these pictures from my only shuttle at CRB - I think this is the building you are discussing???

JimH if that ain't it, it is it's twin sister....only been 43 years (69-70) so I'm not 100% sure. The bottom pic with the stairs sure look familar. I do remember the latrine being on the bottm floor and a note scratched on the wall saying " Flush twice, it's a long way to the chow hall" along with the red rat poison boxes Ken spoke of. Thanks for showing the pics. Bill

Jim, Yeh, I think that is the one in my memory. We had to go up the steps to get to the control room to sign in and to find out our planes status wherever it was at and what time it would be in.

Thanks for the nice pics and memories. Now if somebody would come up with a picture of the Herky Hootch (drinking establishment) up on Herky Hill!!!

Thanks,

Ken

By the way Jim I don't recognize any of the fine looking gentlemen in the picture!

I assume you are one of them!!!!!

Edited by Mt.crewchief
asking question

By the way Jim I don't recognize any of the fine looking gentlemen in the picture!

I assume you are one of them!!!!!

I'm the handsome devil 2nd from the right . . that wasn't my regular crew so I don't remember any of the names (the guy on the right was just hanging out, not part of the crew)..