Losing C-130's

fryguyokc

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2012/01/airforce-dod-proposes-to-cut-7-squadrons-cancel-c27-012612/

The Pentagon has announced some plans to get rid of 65 of the oldest C-130's. Its at the bottom of the attached article. My question is, where are the oldest C-130's located (base) and is there a list on the here or on the internet some where else that shows where all the Herks are?

I wonder what kind of shake up this would create for the 130 world? ie. If they take away planes from Little Rock where would they back fill those from...

Oldest slick herks (E models) are at Little Rock and Puerto Rico. Then, the next oldest and beaten up are the H1s at Yokota, Dyess (most have been moved by now), and Little Rock. 65 airplanes is a lot of iron and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one AD unit was closed as a result (most likely at Little Rock). It's not really a good thing for the flyers (although I don't know many that would miss the E models) as we'll have less tails to fly. I know of guys that are scrounging to get flight time in AMC. At least I can be pretty much guaranteed 3 flights a week in AETC. I think this is going to speed up conversion to the J model for AD as long as Lockheed can keep up with the orders.

the last count I had there were 20 E's, 45 H's and 10 WCH's still flying.

That would leave the PRANG, 36AS, 53AS, and 61AS out of aircraft, and maybe TN ANG. Dyess is still getting J's.

Best guess, Active Duty may close one squadron at LRF, and the 36 and one LRF Squadron will get H's from the ANG and AFRC.

The PRANG and TN ANG will proably stop flying along with the ANG units with C-27"s.

Bob

61st at Little Rock is supposed to get J's next and thus will lose their E's. Nashville is definitely losing its C-130s for UAVs. I bet if anything, the 53rd will close down as they are E and H1. The 50th should be able to hold onto their H3's until ready to convert to the J. After which, their H3's will go to the guard/reserves.

We have been hearing not to expect each state to have more than one Guard flying wing. That hurts Nashville since TN has KC-135s in Knoxville and C-5s in Memphis. My guess is both Nashville and Memphis close since they are trying to get rid of the older C-5s as well. The other rumor we heard is that you can expect the Guard to lose iron but not people. The theory I guess is to have people in the Guard that can quickly surge into AD units or other units if needed. Im not sure how folks are going to keep their currencies and continue to gain experience without airplanes though. Closer to home, its going to be interesting to see what our (189th AR) follow on mission is going to be now that the AMP seems to be dead. Gotta wonder what happens to the new reserve training squadron at LR as well.

know when things like this get into the media it sometimes sounds as if the sky is falling - but looking at parts of the budget proposal not so much maybe. All this is a proposal - DoD can't kill any programs without Congressional approval, although they can slow them down.

Raises in TRICARE co-pays and premiums for Retirees; that's already happened, more to come and a lot easier to push through Congress.

Reducing fuel buys and flying hours is easy to do and already in the works.

Down-sizing/closing Units and mothballing airplanes; troop strengths and closing squadrons - Congress again. Mothballing airplanes - some of this has been on the agenda for a few years. However fewer troops to support means fewer airplanes needed, but most older airplanes will be lost to attrition. Also if you look at the proposal it's a 10 year plan. Many things can happen in 10 years and it makes the Pentagon look good for cutting the budget.

Don't count on getting any iron back from Little Rock anytime soon.

Sounds like another let's rape the guard and Reserve Plan. On the fighter side of the house they are losing 6 of 60 sqdns of fighters.

3 ANG A-10 sqdns, 1 ANG F-16 sqdn, 1 AFRC A-10 Sqdn, and 1 AD A-10 sqdn

Bob

I read the AD A-10 Sq is Spang, AFRC A-10 is Barksdale, ANG A-10 Ft Smith, Ft Wayne and Selfridge, ANG F-16 is Des Moines and the F-15 unit is Kingsley Field Oregon.

WV, TN and Kelly have A's, the rest are B's.

bob

Bob, I seem to recall that a friend of mine, a loady with the 167th, who lives in the 18th century sometimes ( yes I guess there are more than one of us), had told me that they were possibly going to C-5B's, but that was quite a while back. I figure all these changes will definitely delay that. When you see how much money was spent at Martinsburg to make it C-5 compatible, and thne to possibly just say that's it makes you wonder if there is any foresight with these decision makers... OH YEAH, I forgot, Robert C. Byrd is dead now..........................

Giz

This is from the AFA. Fiscal 2013 Actions:

Eliminate 19 C-130H2s from JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska, along with an active association there; remove three -H2s from Niagara, N.Y., and end a Reserve association there; remove 10 -H2.5s from Rosecrans AGS, Mo., six -H2s from Youngstown-Warren, Ohio, one -H2.5 from Louisville, Ky., one -H3 from Charleston, W.V., one -H2.5 from Cheyenne, Wyo., four -H2s from Stratton AGS, N.Y., seven -H2s from Dobbins ARB, Ga., and seven -H2s from Pittsburgh, Pa., resulting in the closure of the associated Air Reserve Station there.

Fiscal 2014 Actions:

Remove seven C-130Hs from Maxwell AFB, Ala.; eight -H2s from NAS JRB Ft. Worth, Tex.; and eight -H3s from Minneapolis-St. Paul. Also remove 10 C-130Js from Keesler AFB, Miss.

Fiscal 2016 Actions:

Remove eight C-130H2s from Savannah, Ga., and eight -H3s from the active component at Little Rock, Ark.

Fiscal 2017 Actions:

Remove eight C-130H2s from Niagara, N.Y., three -H2s from the Reserve component and six H3s from the active component at Little Rock and two -H3s from Charlotte, N.C.