BENNIE FIORITTO

A lot of special ops guys will remember Bennie Fioritto. He was the commander of the 7th SOS @ Rhein Main back in the early 1980's. After retiring, he ran the Stars & Stripes bookstore in the MAC Terminal. What a great guy! Below is an excerpt from an email I got this morning.

Don R.

Subject: Re: Bennie Fioritto

told me that in addition to Alzheimer, Bennie has had two open heart surgeries, the second one last June was unsuccessful and now has colon cancer which cannot be operated on because of his heart. He now has Hospice assistance.

Bennie is a great guy. I remember probably about 1971 on rote at Rhein Main. I was in the 37th and Bennie's squadron from Pope was on rote there too. We had a big brawl in the piano bar between the 2 squadrons. The fight ended when Bob Appleby got thrown out the front window of the club. We all stopped fighting to laugh at Apples and we looked over and there underneath the piano were Russ Popejoy and Bennie down on the floor still slugging it out. The good old days!!!!

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bennie was also the 4419 Test Squadron Commander at Pope in the late 1960's. Developed and tested 1528 LAPES - AWADS - dash 4A dual rails - Talar 4 - NAVIGS - high altitude CDS - CDS buffer board and a lot of other things that were tried for air drop.