"Surfing" off the ramp

DC10FE

There's a video on YouTube showing two Southern Air Transport loadmasters "surfing" off the ramp of a Herc after air drops in the southern Sudan. It was taken about 10 or more years ago. One of the loadmasters was the late Dennis Garcia and I can't remember the other one's name. I had it bookmarked on my computer (I thought), but now I can find it. I've typed just about everything relevant into Google, but nothing comes up about it.

Can anyone help? Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Don R.

Hey Don,

The other load was likely Jamie Heath. I can't make out the face but the blonde hair suggests it was Jamie(and I recall Jamie's name mentioned at the bar when "surfin" came up) . Also R.I.P, Jamie was killed in a car accident late nineties (rear ended at a stop sign if I remember correctly). Both were very likeable/good guys. Some of you would probably know Jamie's older brother,Rich(F/E, USAF/SAT and others later). Didn't get a chance to fly with Jamie, but Rich was sure good fun to fly with.

As you know, Dennis was the load on the SAT machine (MSN #4250,N521SJ) that hit the land mine at Wau.

I didn't know they got footage of it. Great stuff!

later....

Bill

Is this it, Don?

Crazy-assed loadmasters - never know what they will do next.

Yep, Roy, that's it. You're right, loadies are not quite right in the head!

Muchas gracias,

Don R.

Edited by DC10FE

Bill,

You're right -- the other load was Jamie.

I flew with Dennis on the DC-10 at Gemini Air Cargo. He passed away around 2005 of some sort of medical complications.

I carried a small photo album of some of the aircraft incidents in Africa that I'd show to the prima donna DC-10 pilots. Dennis saw the photo of N521SJ at Wau with the cockpit blown off. He told me all the B/S he and the mechanic had to go through to get the cockpit crew air evac'd out on a King Air.

Hey, send me an email -- I sent you a couple of email questions and never got a reply. Did you change your address?

Don R.

When I saw the title, I thought it was about chock surfin the rails. Something I use to do that really aggrivated the A/C. I would take off up by the forward stantions and try and ride all the way to the ramp. Made it a couple times. Tried a ride down the ramp once but the chocks just weren't flexible and I wiped out. Don't think I would have tried that trick though. I've sat on the edge before but hanging on by the rollers?

• 10 years later...