Designations

SEFEGeorge

Well..you had some AFSOC HC-130N/P redesignated as MC-130Ps, although the CA ANG flew some P's as rescue..figure that one out.

EC-130H..jammers and other secret squirrel stuff

EC-130J..flying Television studio and WKRP of the air..and I'm sure even more secret squirrel stuff

The new MC-130W..but I'm told that might be changed to AC-130W..not sure if that's happening or not.

Of course you have the AC-130H and AC-130U Gunpigs..errr..ships.

Then hero's of the skies, MC-130E and MC-130H Talons.

Last, but not least..the new kids on the block..HC-130J and MC-130J..essentially the same aircraft now but spiral development will change that quick.

Plus there is the odd TC-130H and NC-130H floating around out there.

There may be more..but that's what I recall

Thanks but not what I meant. I was more curious about the HC-H/P/Ns (radome, etc) and what happened when A/R pods were added to the E's (from the looks of it). Looks like the Es were given the A/R pods and MC designation. It appears that the HC-Hs were given A/R pods, regular radomes, and made MC-Ps. The standard designations I know, AC, DC, EC, HC, etc.....

Thanks but not what I meant. I was more curious about the HC-H/P/Ns (radome, etc) and what happened when A/R pods were added to the E's (from the looks of it). Looks like the Es were given the A/R pods and MC designation. It appears that the HC-Hs were given A/R pods, regular radomes, and made MC-Ps. The standard designations I know, AC, DC, EC, HC, etc.....

The only thing I can tell you George is the MC-P's we had in Mildenhall had the regular radome's with the cut-out for FLIR. All the Shadow's there were formally HC-N's (you could still see the shape of the Hump on the top of the fuselage) and 69 series frames as well (mine was 69-5828). The did a huge swap over with Kadena and I believe most sent up there (Shadow's) were of the 66 series variety and had Fulton Recovery noses on them. Sorry I couldn't be much help, but I hope it helped a bit?

Dave

Guess what I was getting at was when I was flying the HC-H's and P's at Hickam had the Fulton radome and the HC-N we borrowed when we had a P in depot had the regular radome. Now it looks like they all have the regular radome and are called P's, including the H's that were given pods.

You'll have to get it confirmed through an ACC guy..but I beleive when they upgraded the radar, they all went to the standard 130 radome..regardless of designation.

I know in AFSOC, they were all designated MC-130P's, no matter if they had the old fulton radome or not. However, as a matter of practicallity, we tried to keep the overseas bases the same..one with fulton nose..the other non-fulton. By the time I retired..that had pretty much become an impracticality. Not sure what the present status is.

George

All the HC-H's got pods and were redesignated HC-130P's

Many HC-P and HC-N were moved to AFSICK back in the early 90's or late 80's

In 95 or 96 we re-designated all of our (AFSOC's) HC-P/N's to MC-130P and MC-130N; the reason was to allow us to dip into a different pot of money that the HC designation prevented.

The most confusing move was in 97 when they changed all the MC-130N's to MC-130P's even though they still had the non Fulton radomes, they say for standardization.

So All MC-130N's are now MC-130P's so you had P models with two different drag indexes

Also the re-designation from HC to MC was done regardless of mods to the birds, SOFI and Dumb birds alike were re-designated.

Rescue still fly's HC-130P's N's and J's and the H's are all re-designated P's when they put the pods on them.