Building The C-130J

I and others were able to take a tour of the Marietta, Georgia factory while in the Air Force. It must have been in 1970. We picked up a plane from Mod and flew it to CCK. It was a two week trip because of problems along the way (fuel leaks, high winds, etc...). What an amazing factory. They were building the first two fuselages for the C5 in one end of the plant. They were huge for the times! It is one of the best trips I remember well while in the AF. We flew to Dyess, McClellan, Hickman, Guam, Wake, Okinawa and CCK.

Edited by nascarpop
More information

A great spread Casey, thanks for posting it. A couple of nuggets of info about the place: It is offically known as AF Plant 6, it is not on Dobbins ARB proper, but does share Dobbin's runway. The final assy. building is B-1( that is where the pics were taken) and covers 76 acres and is fully air conditioned. There are 2 building number sets and they are B-1,2,etc which were the original Bell Bomber Plant buildings (1943-45) and buildings across the runway that were built by Lockheed and their numbers start with an L prefix such as L-10 (C-5 wing r&R hanger) . Also the mid fuselage for the 2 XB-70's were built in a tent in the B-1 building in the 60's. Also B-1 bld. had 38 miles of fluoresent light tubes. Just some info I picked up about B-1 while working there in the 80's. Any Herk type should tour the plant if ever given the chance. It will only add to your confidence and trust in the Herk as it did for me. Bill

Edited by Spectre623

Back when Lockheed had a simulator at Marietta, I was with St. Lucia Airways and we had some sim sessions there. I remember a tour of that facility and there was something unique about the floor. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Don R.

Back when Lockheed had a simulator at Marietta, I was with St. Lucia Airways and we had some sim sessions there. I remember a tour of that facility and there was something unique about the floor. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Don R.

Would that be the wooden block floor?

Would that be the wooden block floor?

Have been able to do a plant tour twice in the past 3 years and the highlight is the new folks always attempting to get a piece of the floor. It's amazing to see the J model line from start to finish and the folks that build them; we appreciate their work and hopefully we keep them employed for the foreseeable future.