AC

topboltsto400

AC-130W STINGER

Mission

The AC-130W Stinger conducts infiltration, exfiltration and resupply of U.S. and allied special operations forces in direct support of unified and theater special operations commands and U. S. Special Operations Command contingencies. Collateral missions include refueling of special operations vertical lift assets, forward arming and refueling, specialized ordnance delivery, airdrops in support of psychological operations, and limited command and control capabilities. Its world-wide mission is performed primarily at night to reduce operational risk.

Features

The aircraft is a highly modified C-130H featuring improved navigation, threat detection and countermeasures, and communication suites. The aircraft was also recently modified with a Precision Strike Package to conduct close air support missions until additional special operations forces gunships are procured. The PSP includes a Bushmaster II GAU-23/A 30mm gun, sensors, communications systems, and precision-guided munitions.

The navigation suite is a fully integrated Global Positioning System and Inertial Navigation System that interfaces with the AN/APN-241 Low Power Color Radar and AN/AAQ-38 Infrared Detection System. The improved threat detection and countermeasures systems include advanced radar and missile warning receivers, chaff and flare dispensers and active infrared countermeasures, protecting the aircraft from both radar and infrared-guided threats.

The communication systems upgrades include dual satellite communications suite with data burst capability. The aircraft has both interior and exterior night vision goggle compatible lighting. Aircraft modified with the precision strike package will be equipped with sensors and weaponry.

Structural improvements to the basic C-130H include the addition of the Universal Aerial Refueling Receptacle Slipway Installation or UARRSI, and a strengthened tail empennage. The UARRSI allows the aircraft to conduct in-flight refueling as a receiver, and strengthening of the tail will allow High Speed Low Level Aerial Delivery System airdrop operations. The AC-130W is equipped with Mk 32B-902E refueling pods. These pods are part of the most technologically advanced refueling system available, and provide the ability to refuel special operations helicopters and the CV-22 Osprey.

I think most folks still call it the 'whiskey'...

There are official names and there are unofficial official names - F16 Fighting Falcon = Viper, A10 Thunderbolt II = Hog, B52 Stratofortress = BUFF, C17 Globemaster III = Moose, etc. It may have been Combat Spear, but everyone called it the Wombat. It may have been Dragon Spear, but everyone called it Whiskey, and I think Stinger, while historically significant (AC-119K) doesn't have the pizazz for crew dogs. My money says it remains unofficially officially the Whiskey.

YMMV

Yeah..Whiskey was the other one that was kicked around HQ quite a bit..but got the kabashed fairly quickly by the boss in the 3rd floor office. I do know that the origional MCW unit at Hurlburt used Whiskey fairly liberally though.

Edited by HeyChief
I'm illiterate