plates on the floorboards at FS245?

bonzo

guys,

this question isn't that technical but for the last few years I have been wondering what the plates on the floorboards right against the FS 245 are for.

They are the funny looking ones like halve moons etc there are 4 in total and they are different shapes.

they are thin stainless and nothing structural in my eyes.

who can shine a light on this?

thanks

Bonzo

They where there because some aircraft had fwd urinals. Talon II still does don't know if others!

Bischoffm :

Most hercs dont have the forward urinals anymore. One of the plates is right where you go from the flightdeck to the cargo compartment and covers some of the chine so really doesn't make sense.

• 1 month later...

They where there because some aircraft had fwd urinals. Talon II still does don't know if others!

Not sure what they are for but don't think they have anything what so ever to do with urinals....They are not even close to where urinals are in the "J" model...

On "J" models, ALL of 'em have urinals at 245... BUT only the "J" models with old school cargo rails(read USMC "J" models) have the plates in question. They are termed "SKID PLATES" On "J" models with ECHS (read all but USMC "J's") The "skid plates" are not installed but "pallet stops"(keeps the pallet from hitting 245)are installed in that area of the floor boards.

What they are there for I have no clue, have asked around, but only answer I get is... the deer in the headlight look and "It's in the blueprint, I just install them"

but only answer I get is... the deer in the headlight look and "It's in the blueprint, I just install them"

I get the same answer :)

I am wondering if the Roller system(ADLS) has anything to do with it.

like a chain hitting the floor when the hooks for the pallets are open during loading and unloading ?

they are very thin stainless steel plates.

just my 2c for today.

Bonzo

Here is what I was told by an old loadmaster and varified it. I asked this same question when I transitioned to crew chief on C-130's at the 146th AW in 1981. If you notice those stainless steel plates, they are just at or just aft. of F.S 245 where the floor panels end. If you look a little closer, you will find the 25K D-ring plug. Now stored at F.S. 245RT in the box behind the stanchions was the old style snatch blocks (rather large pulleys with a fitting on one end with a large hole in it.) A tapered type of bolt with a T-handle was used to secure the snatch block to the floor. It was at the 25K D-ring plug that the tapered bolt for the snatch block was inserted. The S.S plates were a scuff plate for the snatch block to protect the floor. The pulley was attached to the snatch block frame by a rather large and protruding bolt and nut. The new type of snatch blocks do not look anything like the original (old) ones.

Here is what I was told by an old loadmaster and varified it. I asked this same question when I transitioned to crew chief on C-130's at the 146th AW in 1981. If you notice those stainless steel plates, they are just at or just aft. of F.S 245 where the floor panels end. If you look a little closer, you will find the 25K D-ring plug. Now stored at F.S. 245RT in the box behind the stanchions was the old style snatch blocks (rather large pulleys with a fitting on one end with a large hole in it.) A tapered type of bolt with a T-handle was used to secure the snatch block to the floor. It was at the 25K D-ring plug that the tapered bolt for the snatch block was inserted. The S.S plates were a scuff plate for the snatch block to protect the floor. The pulley was attached to the snatch block frame by a rather large and protruding bolt and nut. The new type of snatch blocks do not look anything like the original (old) ones.

These so called snatch blocks were more like a floor mounted pulley for the cargo winch. There was no hook attached to the frame. The pulley was somewhere around 14"-18" in diameter. They were listed in the -21 equipment list (2 ea). These were replaced by the new style snatch block. The new style snach blocks do not attach to the floor, these hook directly to the load.

Thanks for a memory jog. I think I used them only a couple of times. Hadn't even thought about such a thing. I just wonder how much other stuff like that I have forgotten?????????? As a side, didn't the E's back in the old days have two different types of winches??? One had a long handle on it, the other was much shorter, and didn't have the power button on it??? There was, of course, only one on board, but you could have either?????????

giz

Thanks for a memory jog. I think I used them only a couple of times. Hadn't even thought about such a thing. I just wonder how much other stuff like that I have forgotten?????????? As a side, didn't the E's back in the old days have two different types of winches??? One had a long handle on it, the other was much shorter, and didn't have the power button on it??? There was, of course, only one on board, but you could have either?????????

giz

The prefered winch was the Bull Dog, the alternet was the Hoover. The Hoover had the long handle and was a pain in the ass to use and maintain. The hoover was also bulky. The Hoover had the press power button on the handle and you had to move the handle side to side to engage and disengage the drum. The drum brake was crap and many engine and stand have rolled out the back down the ramp.

The Bull Dog was much more reliable and the brake latch always worked as long as the drum catch lever spring was in place and not distorted by size 9 boots. The Bull Dog had the short handle to engage the drum. However the cable tended to get all bound up between the drum and housing as there was no cable guide like the Hoover had.