BASE CLOSURES

DC10FE

I was just checking my bio to see if anything needed to be updated and I noticed something interesting. Of the 8 bases I have listed as being assigned to, 6 of them have closed. Another reason to make me feel old.

Don R.

I was stationed at Ardmore Air Force Base in Oklahoma from 1955 to 1959 and we shut it down. We sent everything to Sewart and I was released two months early to keep from sending me to to Sewart. My home town was Nashville, TN so they didn't want to send me there. Go figure.

The mirror thing appears almost unanimous. Thanks, guys.

If you haven't checked the bio, my list of closed bases are Amarillo, Clark, Rhein Main, KI Sawyer, Norton and Korat. All great places, well maybe not Sawyer. Only Langley and Dyess left.

Don R.

• 4 months later...

Is this a reactivation of the 327AS that was at Willow Grove,Pa from the C-119 days to the C130A and E days? If so I have to inform the 913th alumni that have many former flight crews and maintenance about this venture.

Please keep me advised.

EFLTatCCK

Did Willow Grove have C-97s at one time?

The 0-2's were an ANG unit the 103FS. They moved to WG from Philly in C-97's and converted to O-2's. They later flew A-37's and A-10's. The 130A's came to 327 TAS AFRES in 1970. They had C-119's before that. They trained for Tac missions in the 130's with us at Langley.

Some of the Langley guys went up to Willow Grove as ARTs when the program started. I saw a few of them at the 316 Reunion.

Bob

The 0-2's were an ANG unit the 103FS. They moved to WG from Philly in C-97's and converted to O-2's. They later flew A-37's and A-10's. The 130A's came to 327 TAS AFRES in 1970. They had C-119's before that. They trained for Tac missions in the 130's with us at Langley.

Some of the Langley guys went up to Willow Grove as ARTs when the program started. I saw a few of them at the 316 Reunion.

Bob

Short story about a crew from WG. In 1967, I was a young 2 striper stationed at Dover, and contacted Hong Kong Flu while TDY to Hickam. When the hospital released me I went on convalescent leave to Tennessee. When returning to Dover, I was at the airport in Memphis and noticed a flight crew walking through the terminal, one of the guys ask where I was going, I told him Dover, he said cash in your ticket we're are going to Willow Grove and we'll give you a lift. Well we loaded on that old C-97 and departed Memphis, while enroute we all talked and told them I was on convasescent leave. Guess they felt sorry for me, landed at Dover and dropped me off - nobody knows how grateful I was for that act of kindness. I do know the AC flew C-133s at Dover and was released from active duty and went ANG. Going from 133s to 97s, in my mind, was a move up.

Bob,

You are correct. A few of my former co-worker ARTS flight crew and maintenance were from Active Duty at Langley. I have an close friend that I retired with at the "Grove" with who was originally maintenance and then a flt engineer and later back in maintenance like me. His name is Mark Wilby,and he was at Langley Active Duty in the early 70's. He was also at CCK when I was there.

EFLTatCCK/ Vince

• 4 years later...
On 5/12/2012 at 5:45 AM, DC10FE said:

I was just checking my bio to see if anything needed to be updated and I noticed something interesting. Of the 8 bases I have listed as being assigned to, 6 of them have closed. Another reason to make me feel old.

Don R.

I was stationed at both CCK and Sewart AFB, Ten, that have since been closed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2012 at 9:00 PM, Mt.crewchief said:

Yes, Lowry, how could I forget that place! I went there for Weapons & Munitions School and somehow ended up at Shepherd in Turbo Prop Acft. Maint.

I went there for Weapons School in Jan of 1961 and worked as a weapons mechanic on an F-86H in the 102nd TFW, Mass ANG for three years.  Then I moved back to VA and was transferred to AFRes at Andrews 756th TCS who flew C-119Cs.  They didn't need weapons mechs in those pre-gunship days, so they cross-trained me to LM.  Went on active duty in Apr 66 and after brief sojourns in the C-124 and C-123, I wound up at Pope in C-130s in 1968 and still in them to this day.  Although I have regressed (progressed?) to A models for the past 15 years.

• 1 month later...