63-7878

dataport

I just got in the crash report on this C130 (attached), and need some help from your membership. It lists a "Misson Number". Would this be a routine sequential number used for the flights (or) would there be further documentation filed somewhere that gives the purpose of WHY they were going to SVN.

I just got in the crash report on this C130 (attached), and need some help from your membership. It lists a "Misson Number". Would this be a routine sequential number used for the flights (or) would there be further documentation filed somewhere that gives the purpose of WHY they were going to SVN.

They were on a routine transport mission carrying cargo to Vietnam. That's the whole reason the 314th Troop Carrier Wing was sent to the Pacific in the first place. The mission number is just the number for the mission; it means nothing.

At this point in the war, 315th Air Division operated a number of scheduled missions into South Vietnam, mostly from Okinawa, which was a major supply depot. I can't say for certain, but the mission number was probably the mission number for one of those scheduled missions. In 1966 the 314th TCW was involved mostly in missions operating in and out of South Vietnam. The wing did have a rotational mission at Nha Trang but this crew was not on it since they crew rested at Tan Son Nhut. The mission report doesn't say, but they had probably picked up their load at Naha, Okinawa then went to Da Nang and on to Tan Son Nhut for crew rest. Since they hit a mountain in Taiwan, the Vietnam portion has no bearing on the accident. The report says the airplane had been continually off course, which indicates a navigational error.