Incident Reports

Efltnor

Hey guys,

I need some help here. My herk was belly landed in late 1972 or maybe 1973 in Tainan Taiwan. I have tried to find some kind of incident report with no luck at all.

Can anyone tell me where I can find such report? Tail number was 64-0497.

Thanx :confused:

Hey guys,

I need some help here. My herk was belly landed in late 1972 or maybe 1973 in Tainan Taiwan. I have tried to find some kind of incident report with no luck at all.

Can anyone tell me where I can find such report? Tail number was 64-0497.

Thanx :confused:

I don't know about the incident report but the Pilots were shooting touch N go's at Tianan and go tired of the gear warning horn going off. The engineer was told to pull the circuit breaker and everything was fine until they landed with the gear down. No horn to warn them!!!!!!!!!! The plane was jacked up, gear lowered, checked out and flew to CCK where the damage (mostly sheared off antennas) was repaired.

Gary

That's right Gary, but I would like to see what the air force had to say about it. The damage was a little worse than sheared off antennas, Dave and I were in reventment 13 for several months while a team from Singapore put a new belly in the acft.

Tommy

That's right Gary, but I would like to see what the air force had to say about it. The damage was a little worse than sheared off antennas, Dave and I were in reventment 13 for several months while a team from Singapore put a new belly in the acft.

Tommy

I didn't remember having to replace the belly Tommy. Guess that is age catching up. I do remember on 63-7879 when the loadmaster's failed to chain the pallets down good and they slammed into flight station 245 and tore everything up. What a hell of a mess. I know it took a lot of work to fix it back up. Still have a lot of good memories though of Naha and CCK both.

Gary

I didn't remember having to replace the belly Tommy. Guess that is age catching up. I do remember on 63-7879 when the loadmaster's failed to chain the pallets down good and they slammed into flight station 245 and tore everything up. What a hell of a mess. I know it took a lot of work to fix it back up. Still have a lot of good memories though of Naha and CCK both.

Gary

Chainin' pallets?????

Chaining or strapping the down. Anyway, it was a stack of the metal pallets being returned and they weren't tied down good. The E-Flight birds did not have the dual rails installed.

Okay that makes sense. I didn't know the rails were out. That must have been a bitch to load those pallets then......Still, no excuse for not doin' adequate tie down. as an ex-loady I think I can say that with some authority.

Giz

It's no secret that my memory is suspect, at best. However, I seem to remember loading/hauling those big aluminum pallets when there were no rails installed in the cargo compartment. Seems that the fork lift driver set them on the ramp floor and the load master and I used "J" bars to move them foreward. A wretched way to move anything!! Again, if I remember correctly we used nylon(?) straps to tie them down. Don't recall any coming loose.

Chris

Sometimes we had a slick floor, sometimes we had skates, it would depend on the mission of course, but we always had lots of the nylon tie down straps that Chris is refering to. I always kept a supply of the D-rings as well as the straps that held them to the floor. We would pop one loose occationally.

Tommy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Actually, all the E-Flight birds had the rails removed until late 1975. We used two rows of triple skate wheels to load anything on pallets. Everything had to be strapped or chained properly. The incident which destroyed FS 245 was caused by an approximate 4 foot stack of 4'x 8' sheets of teak/mahogany plywood (our primary pallet material) which was incorrectly secured with a single 5000 lb tiedown strap. I had personally warned that Kicker on a number of occasions to not secure it that way. Since the skate wheels only left a tiedown access between them, he would just throw the strap down the middle and left it at that. When they landed, they made two mistakes. First, they land hard and fast. Then they did maximum braking and reverse to make the first turnoff. That shifted the plywood at an angle, cut the strap and sent the stack flying all the way forward and push 245 all the way to the nose gear access window. I guess I could have said, "I told you so!"