Hurricane Hunters

donwon

Recorded 2 episodes Donwon and enjoyed it also. Now if they would go along on a gunship and film an actual mission I could get into that...even an old trash haul or troop drop would do ha ha. I noticed something about the flt deck....they left the FE at home. Must have needed the room for the film crew.They even took his seat out!!!!!!! Oh well thats the movies for ya! Bill

Well yer so right Don R... after banging around on 130's for over 30 years I can almost tell the difference... heh heh. I know the J is a great bird but I still would have went with an FE just for the added safety factor and to help keep the zero's awake, ha ha . Bill

I worked at the NOAA Aircraft Operations Center (home of the NOAA Hurricane Hunters - they have 2 WP-3Ds) from 1997 until I retired in 2008. I was invited several times to go along for a hurricane penetration. I told them I had plenty of experience puking in the back of a C130 on low levels when I had to fly - I had no desire to voluntarily subject myself to more!!

well... I never got sick in the back of a 130. Cold, sore, feet freezing but never sick. And been all over the world in 'em. Boones Farm in Hampton, Monti Crasto in the Azores and any number of other beverages in various countries have caused my guts to turn on occassion.

well... I never got sick in the back of a 130. Cold, sore, feet freezing but never sick. And been all over the world in 'em. Boones Farm in Hampton, Monti Crasto in the Azores and any number of other beverages in various countries have caused my guts to turn on occassion.

Boone's Farm???? Oh, how peasant-like. You must have missed out on the various Ripples, Annie Greensprings, Cold Bear, MD-20/20, and the other gourmet wines available at ALL the 7-11's, and there were a million of them down there......If you are goin' to the reunion in September, I propose a 7-11 tour as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only got sick once, myself, along with my ILM, on a low level to Blackstone. I don't know why that bird did not come apart, and all because some wing weinie needs his drop...................

Giz

Good one Jim. If you ain't been sick in a 130 you ain't flown much in one , ha ha. Bill :)

5000 hours and many many of them extreme low level and never got sick once. Now I wont say there wasn't a couple of times I hung a garbage bag over the back of the pilots seat for those hot day low levels following a hard night of consuming the cheapest local variety of alcohol (sometimes terminating a few hours prior to show time).

5000 hours and many many of them extreme low level and never got sick once. Now I wont say there wasn't a couple of times I hung a garbage bag over the back of the pilots seat for those hot day low levels following a hard night of consuming the cheapest local variety of alcohol (sometimes terminating a few hours prior to show time).

what was the rule, Dan, no smokin' for 12 hours and no drinkin' within 50 feet of the airplane???? I remember somehtin' like that!

Giz

what was the rule, Dan, no smokin' for 12 hours and no drinkin' within 50 feet of the airplane???? I remember somehtin' like that!

Giz

Yep, those were the old days. I remember times when the entire crew went from bar to flight line - sometimes not the wisest thing to do but that's the way things went sometimes back then.

I can remember part of them well............. I know I learned to operate the fuel systems, cross feed, etc, so my Canadian born FE could soothe his achin' head many times on my first rote to Mildenhall. Reckon I did okay, the fans kept turnin'....

Giz

Yeah, those were the days. My AC, Capt. Bob Craft, taught me the about drinking scotch whiskey on a rotation to Rhine Main. Still drink it today, but a little bit better stuff. Not that Johnnie Walker is bad.

That was the rote that started the tennis ball cannon wars.