YMC-130H Up For Grabs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2843[/ATTACH]

Received the message below via the Contact Us form:

The YMC-130H Credible Sport at WR-ALC Museum Of Aviation has been declared excess and may be cut up.The Museum is looking for a qualified organization/museum that would like to adopt the aircraft and has the funds to move it. Any qualified organization that's interested may contact the Museum Of Aviation Director Ken Emery at 478 926-5796.

As I have said before, I believe that the aircraft is an important piece of C-130/Aviation history and I would hate to see it lost.

• 1 month later...

Time is running out on the YMC-130H The NMUSAF is ready to cut it up.

Any qualified organization that's interested in adoption and has the funds to move the aircraft may contact the Museum Of Aviation Director Ken Emery at 478 926-5796.

I talked with Mr. Emery earlier today. Here's the scoop...

The Aircraft has been declared as excess by the Robins Museum because they have the YMC-130H, a C-130E, an AC-130A and do not have enough money to maintain them all. They were quoted $206K by a contractor to paint it! So why get rid of the YMC-130H? It is not complete (inside gutted, no rocket pods, etc.) and in their opinion, the is the least historically significant of the three aircraft. The argument can be made that it never really did anything.

Hurlburt has expressed interest but it will cost over $100K to get it delivered.

Casey's opinion: C-130Es can be found all over the place, there are several AC-130As in museums but there is only one YMC-130H. Whether it did anything or not, it is a reminder of the the lengths this country is willing to go to to protect the freedom of its citizens and a reminder of the sacrifices made at Desert One. It should be preserved.

I'm not sure if it will help but, but if you are so inclined, you can express your concerns to the addresses below

Passed to me via the "Contact Us" link.

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Casey

What about the museum at Marietta, Ga right behind Dobbins

Was at the Marietta Air museum today and they told me they were getting GhostRider aka AC-130A 54-1623 which has been stored at Dobbins since 1995. That will just about fill up their display space. They plan to push the 141 back and put the gunship as the center display. They have about 10 aircraft on display now. Bill

It would be a shame to cut up this airframe. It may have never flown a rescue mission, but it represents what happened in the desert in Iran many years ago. I lost a couple of friends on that mission.

I know of only one member of this forum who feels that this airplane holds no signifigant historical value and has stated his feelings here on this forum. Every other member that I know of shares my feelings -- don't cut her up.

Don R.

Why preserve an airplane that never did anything? One crashed and one was converted back to C-130H. This airplane should have also been returned to its original configuration. There were scads of C-130s, As, Bs, Es, Hs, that actually made historical contributions and most of them were cut up for scrap. The E-model Robins got recently is actually a historical airplane. It was on Dragon Rouge and then went to CCK and was later assigned to E Flight. Hurlburt would be the logical place but if they don't want it, scrap it.

• 1 month later...

It is so expensive to move one of these planes. In the area of 30,000 to 50,000 dollars. Moving trucks, permits, electrical lines, routing with bridge clearance, EPA, OSHA, tear down and rebuild, proper display area, etc. I fear the worse for this plane. I would rather see it pushed into the weeds for future restoration than cut up and be gone for ever.

• 3 weeks later...

The wife and I were visiting Robins a few weeks ago.. We spent some time at the museum... Took a look at the bird in question and I feel it is too far gone to be restored easily... Some of the hardware added for the project is still in place in poor condition.. Parts missing from the airframe and engines... A poor investment regardless of how we feel... I would suggest that it be encouraged to pull it out of the weeds and place a marker telling it's story.. We could still walk by and admire a significant 'Herky-Bird'.............. Jack.......

Edited by HercMX
spelling