Viet A

bobdaley

Two things, I hate to hear Khe Sanh referred to as our Dien Bien Phu.

The French got their butts kicked and lost the war at DBP. Our Marines with a lot of support held out against an overwhelming Vietnamese attack.

56-0518 the Gate Guard at Little Rock was one that came to Thailand. It had 452 Viets on board.

Bob

Bob, et al, I was a little slow on getting to 518 at Little Rock. I was the NCOIC of the display team and ran the engines the last time they were run to deplete as much of the fuel as possible after the boost pumps couldn't pump what was left. The Display of 56-0518 is my proudest accomplishment prior to leaving active duty. There is a stone stand with a bronze plaque on it toward the rear of the aircraft dedicating the aircraft to all the men and women of airlift. My friend Carl Bishop who tended the display and I wrote the words embossed on that plaque.

Fritz

Back in the 1975 time period, I was TDY to Hickham AFB supporting a FB-111 squadron returning from Thailand. While there, a whole s**tload of A-models came through. One of them was 56-0518 and I knew the FE on it. I went over to talk to him and noticed that the crew entrance door was new and still in the zinc chromate color. I asked him about it and he told me that there were so many people on the airplane that the door popped open on takeoff roll. Some people fell out -- including the pilot's wife. Urban legend? Don't know, but an iteresting tale.

Don R.

I was flying on AC 130 A gunships at Karot when this took place we got task to move 9 SVAF C 130A models to Anderson AFB Guam we had 24 hours to get them out of Thialand, went to Clark AFB, PI spent one night then to Anderson AFB, Guam where ram team took them over and did their thing, about 2 months later we took them to depots in the states. The door was replaced at Utopia. As to who or how many fell out is unknown to me I heard several tales but no proof to any of them. My crew drew 56-0500 both trips, was a good plane once we got bleed air leak in # 4 horse collar fixed, and a couple of radios, flew a loose formation using radios in survivial vest to talk to lead.

We took 500 I beleive to Hays' depot at Brimingham, AL It later went to Tn Air Guard. only been 37 years ago damn how time flys.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

HELLO BOB,I HAVE SOME INFO FOR YOU-ADD IT TO YOUR FILE PLEASE....55-0001 IS CODED GZB.55-0002WAS CODED GZA.56-0476 IS CODED HCI.56-0505 IS NOT CODED GZB.56-0495 WAS RETURNED 7/73.56-0505 WAS WRITTEN OFF 4/75-POSSIBLY DOWNED BY SA-7 ATTACK AFTER TAKEOFF FROM TAN SON NHUT-WITNESSED BY RICHARD ARMITTAGE,AN AMERICAN.55-0002 RAN OFF THE RUNWAY AT BIEN HOA ON 6/4/75 AND BURNT.56-519 IS CODED GZP.56-0521 WAS CODED HCH.56-0545 IS CODED HCP.55-0013 IS CODED HCD.

MORE INFORMATION-55-0016 WAS WRITTEN OFF ON 25/12/74 AT SONG BE.55-0045 WAS FROM 105TAS TNANG AND WAS DAMAGED BEYOND REPAIR (DBR) 4/75.56-0489 WAS CODED GZJ AND WAS CAPTURED ON THE GROUND AT TAN SON NHUT BADLY DAMAGED BY AN ARTILLERY ATTACK THAT ALSO COMPLETELY DESTROYED 2 MORE C-130A AIRCRAFT TO ITS IMMEDIATE LEFT,THE NEAREST ONE WAS SMOULDERING SCRAP AND UNIDENTIFIABLE-THE FURTHEST ONE WAS CODED GZL.56-0542 AND 560465 WERE BOTH DBR ON 4/75.I HAVE PICTURES OF ALL OF THE ABOVE TO VERIFY MY INFORMATION,I HOPE THIS HELPS FILL IN A FEW GAPS IN THE DATABASE.PLEASE REPLY

Thanks for the info. I updated the Data base I had on Vietnamese A's.

If you have anymore tie ups with the Vietnamese tail codes and US tail numbers that would help. Also Like to see any pictures you can share.

Thanks

Bob

please send to me your email address-mine is [email protected] i can send you pictures i have and more information as i find it....and tell you where i found my information too!thankyou,regards simon.