Bucket List--One more Flight

Blackjack Jerry

you said it Sparks............. Betcha nearly everyone of us on this site had at least one close one......

Giz

You have that right, Giz....I've had mine, at least in my mind. I haven't put the bag on in 5 and a half years, but would do it in a minute. Thank you to all who still do.....

Jerry

Well, it has been 38 for me, that is inconceivable to me, but I don't think, within certain limits, there is anything I would not do to fly on that old bird one more time.............. That is on my bucket list, but doubt if it ever gets checked off, but I'd go right back anytime and do it all over. And I betcha the brothers we just lost would say the same. I did hear something' that another one had passed. I hope that is not true. also, in the paper today associated press did an article on it and had a DC-10 labelled as a herk. Talk about sacrilege and disrespect.

I extend my condolences to all their family and friends, as empty as that may sound

Aboard, closed and checked

gizx

You ain't kiddin' are ya, Fritz?? That would be an outstanding event. I don't care if you fight fires in the air, on the ground or in the buildings, it is quite a challenge. Most people have no idea what we do ( or did,), and like the C-130 experience, they don't believe half of what you may yell them. I truly hope the family members of these crew-dogs get taken care of the way they should.

Giz

Giz;

No, I'm not kidding.

fjw

You ain't kiddin' are ya, Fritz?? That would be an outstanding event. I don't care if you fight fires in the air, on the ground or in the buildings, it is quite a challenge. Most people have no idea what we do ( or did,), and like the C-130 experience, they don't believe half of what you may yell them. I truly hope the family members of these crew-dogs get taken care of the way they should.

Giz

• 3 weeks later...

Giz: As a former LM, I have another flight in a C130 on my bucket list too... my last one was in 1981, just before our AFRES unit traded the 130s for F4Ds... let me know if you figure out a way to get 'er done!!

Jim Houston

I'll help tie everyone down and between me an JimH we can probably rig a Mucullum bundle for air drop. Might take a day or two to figure the Form F, but damn I would be in as well. My last one was in Jan of 69'.

When we had our 346th / 347th reunion at Dyess in 2005, we at least got to go climb around in one of the remaining E's. Sure brought back the memories.

O.K. guys,

Here's the deal: we all say that we'd give anything (within reason) for another flight in our beloved Herk. What would it take to do just that??? Wouldn't you think that there would be an ANG Unit or maybe a civilian outfit that would grant a bucket wish to a bunch of old Herk crewmen for one last flight? Even if we had to pay for it. I'd pay my fair share. Anyone out there have any ideas as to how to go about looking into this??? I'm serious!!!!!!!!

tinwhistle (Chris)

to anser your question Chris , Bob Daley checked with a friend of his and the cost to rent one was 12,500 per hour plus abour 3,000 in set up costs but they are based in cal. but to make a long story short it could be done we just somebody like Bob to set it up. I would be the first one on the list to pay his share to go for a ride, its been on my bucket list sence I left the 37th sq back in may of 73

Jerry

When we did our reunion at Dyess, there was discussion of a flight around the area. At the time all the old "E" birds were not flying due to stress cracks in the wing boxes and weight restrictions. I guess all us old Fat-a$$$ were too much. I would suggest contacting the base public affairs officer or a squadron commander of one of the units to see if something could be arranged. I am pretty sure had there not been restrictions at the time we could have gone up on a touch and go around the base a few times. I know Abilene had local reporters out there for all of us, so it was good publicity. I'll ping one of the guys who retired in Abilene who set up the whole thing last time and see if he has contacts. S/B a couple of pilots around who ended up Generals by the time they retired who can assist??? Some of you pilots had to maintain some connections?

john

I'll take the left troop door.

NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called it FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Uhh, I am not sure but it seems like most respondin' to this are loadies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think there is somethin' in one of the manuals about the critical mass of strap stretchers on one aircraft...................We might need a couple how neat would a two or three ship to Blackstone be?????????

Giz

I think you're right Giz, it usually ends up that way, even at reunions, all loads, no maint. However, seeing as there doesn't seem to be any other crew chiefs talking about this, I'll not only pull the pre flight, I'll suck it up and also do the post flight!!!!!!!!!! But, I give notice: no s**t from the loads, and you'll clean up your mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tinwhistle (Chris)

HEY, HEY,HEY, now that is no way to be................... I'll write your damn rails up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND make sure you are missin' pages from the weight and balance data............................ LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giz