C-130 E

rami

recently we received 3 aircraft c-130E ,we are flying the H model .i know there is a different but i want to ask if there is a start limit for starter like the H one and the bleed air limit during start (below 22 bleed press stop start). we look at the manual we didn't found the starter and the bleed press limitation.

recently we received 3 aircraft c-130E ,we are flying the H model .i know there is a different but i want to ask if there is a start limit for starter like the H one and the bleed air limit during start (below 22 bleed press stop start). we look at the manual we didn't found the starter and the bleed press limitation.

If memory serves me correctly, started limit for E's is 1 min on, 1 min off, 1 min on, 1 min off, 1 min on, 5 min off, 1 min on, 30 min off.

It is in the engine run manual 1C-130E-2-71JG-00-1 (here again guessing) in the preface pages. For the E I do not believe I ever saw a bleed air minimum limit on start for the E's.

If memory serves me correctly, started limit for E's is 1 min on, 1 min off, 1 min on, 1 min off, 1 min on, 5 min off, 1 min on, 30 min off.

It is in the engine run manual 1C-130E-2-71JG-00-1 (here again guessing) in the preface pages. For the E I do not believe I ever saw a bleed air minimum limit on start for the E's.

The starter limits are the same as an H. As for minimum start PSI. If the GTC was not putting out a minimum of 35 psi (same as APU) then MX action was required prior to flight. These limitations are all out of the E(H)-1.

Dave

Just like the H, it's 1 on, 1 off; 1 on, 5 off, 1 on 30 off. the E's use the 1C-130H series job guides as well. There is a minimum PSI during start, but I cannot recall it off the top of my head. It's not in the engine run job guide for some reason.

Just like the H, it's 1 on, 1 off; 1 on, 5 off, 1 on 30 off. the E's use the 1C-130H series job guides as well. There is a minimum PSI during start, but I cannot recall it off the top of my head. It's not in the engine run job guide for some reason.

This is right out of the current C-130H job guide. The starter limits are the same as for the E models.

You need to find a copy of the 1C-130E(H)-2-71JG-00-1

TO 1C-130H-2-71JG-00-1

2-1-4. (Continued)

(MC-130H airplanes) Before placing the

CAUTION AC bus tie switch to ON, ensure that all

operating engines are in low-speed or

that no engine-driven generators are supplying

power. Ensure that the AC bus tie

switch is placed to OFF before bringing

any engine to normal ground idle or placing

any engine-driven generator switch to

ON.

Do not exceed the starter duty cycle of 1

CAUTION minute on, 1 minute off, 1 minute on, 5

minutes off, 1 minute on, 30 minutes off.

Any engagement of the starter is considered

as 1 minute on.

For restart, TIT must be below 200oC. For

CAUTION restart using fuel enrichment, TIT must be

below 100oC.

Mech Item Status

A,B,C 1. Engine (applicable No.) clear CLEAR

A,B,C 2. Start engine (applicable No.) as STARTING

follows:

a. Engine bleed air switch OVRD OR

OPEN

b. Engine condition lever (if RUN

motoring engine, place condition

lever as required)

c. ENGINE GROUND START/ START/TURN ENG

START button/switch ING

(call start sequence)

we have the following c-130 E 62-1799/62-1792/62-1859

2 out of those 3 were on our last E-model deployment in Iraq. 1799 got me in a little bit of hot water with a nose wheel shimmy, but that's another story. How are they flying for you all over there?

Dave

One of the biggest mistakes I made was not insisting on a maintanance check when after engine start the light in the #3 starter button flashed, the pilot played with it and it went out and we continued on. A few minutes after takeoff the starter came apart, every warning light for that engine came on, it lost power and we were heavy. It even put holes in the fuselage and number four engine nacelle. We were on our way to Mildenhall from Goose Bay. We ended up dumping fuel and getting two new engines and props. We made a recovery on 3 engines and a smooth touch down. But had we of had it checked out maybe those engine and prop changes would not have been necessary. The light in the button was telling us that the start valve opening, not good!!!

I dont know Larry, it seems to me there was something added to the start limits about twenty years ago (20 years - holy damn!!!)

Dan, You could very well be right. Twenty years ago I had been out five years. As I've said before, sometimes can't remember what I have for lunch. Btw, how are you doing on your house?

Good to hear the starter button hold in feature has been eliminated. I learned early on that a starter not operating iaw the manual needed to be, in most cases, replaced. To do otherwise was courting disaster. I witnessed the results of the MAC inroute support sqd.at Incerlik attempting to adjust the centrifical switches on a malfunctioning # three engine starter. On ops. ck. it blew up and sent schrapnel through both sides of the cargo compartment, with at least one piece puncturing the nose of the left ext. tank. The aircraft looked as though it had be hosed down with a 50 cal. Took depot repair to get it back in the air. After that when my acft. had a starter malfunction I insisted on by the book maintenance.

Bob's post above confirms my position.

• 3 weeks later...