Differences

ac130sensor1

The SPO references only 3 as H models...73-1582, 73-1597, 73-1598 also known as the "Super Es". They also list 24 H2.5 acft.

Bob - Yeah guess I wasn't thinking about those when I wrote the post - there's some 68 H's too.

acSensor1 - mostly the difference in designation comes from the avionics package and then other system upgrades. I could list some things but I'm sure I'd miss something.

When I first went to Little Rock in the late '70s we had "all" the 73 H models. Not sure how many there were but there were more than 3. From what I've seen many of them became EC-130H's. They were just E models with -15 engines (H's), but were listed as H models. Sure could have used the upgraded flight deck AC on the summer low levels! I believe all the '74 H's went to Dyess (H-1s). The '65 HC-H's we flew at Hickam were E models with -15s and the HC equipment - ADS, etc. Not sure what all encompasses the H-2's and on.

I typed up a quick chart that shows how they initially came equipped. That is as good as my memory let's me remember. Please feel free to add to or subtract as I'm sure I might have gotten a few incorrect. You must remember, especially with the H2s, is they were about as different when they first appeared to when the last one rolled off the assy line. And now there have been many post manufacturer upgrades.

C-130 configs

H models -- FY73

-15 motors

H1 models -- FY 74

-15 motors

Bleed Air Regulators

APU

Bleed Air Divider Valve plus Wing Isolation Valves.

70 lb flight deck AC pack.

H2 models -- FY81?

Bleed Air Divider Valve only

Added over time....FY82? and beyond

FCS-105 Flight Director

Fully adjustable flight deck seating

Dual INS

Urinals

3000 psi brakes

Main AC Bus Tie switch

Beta Lights

RoseMount Pitot System

Master Caution system

H2.5 models -- FY91

GCUs

Seems like I'm missing something here

H3 models -- FY92

MACAWS

EFIs

LPCR

Single INU/SCNS/GPS

Dual INU/SCNS/GPS

Turbine Overheat Indication changed

• 2 months later...

Later H-2's starting at Lockheed s/n 4992 (delivered about 1985) you got the 2 large side escape hatches, lost the HF long line ant, it went into the vert stab LE, got the dual INS and 2 main batteries along with the flush toilet. I installed and rigged the first set of large hatches on this bird as it came down final assy. Bill

Edited by Spectre623

I've flown on H2s my entire time as a Loadmaster. I'm a little hazy on some of the details, but here's what I've got.

The H2 started out with Oklahoma City (now Pittsburgh) 78s. I don't know of any real changes until Schenectedy got the 83s. That was the intro of chemical toilets and matching side escape hatches. From what I gather, there are some cockpit configuration differences in the 83s and 84s due to the addition of the ski controls for Schenectedy. Schenectedy's airplanes were also the last to have the big wire antenna.

Delaware's 84's were the first to have digital fuel panel lights.

With Texas getting the 85's, the Rosemont pitot static system began. I'm not 100%, but I think they might have also received the first 3000 lbs. brake system.

Everything in the H2 line was status quoe until 90-1057 received the first square paratroop windows and corresponding differences in the paratroop doors.

The 73-models "H's" were merely the bionic "E-models." I received responsibility for 73-1586 when it arrived from Lockheed. It had 26 hours on it by that time and external tanks in crates in the cargo compartment. I was in awe of the engines as I had only experienced -7s and -9s before that. We quickly made an overwater-nav to Hickam with it and flew the whole trip below crossover in order to make it a 10-hour trip.

My jealousy started when Dyess started getting the 74 models the next year with the APUs and large air conditioning packs.

The 73-models "H's" were merely the bionic "E-models." I received responsibility for 73-1586 when it arrived from Lockheed. It had 26 hours on it by that time and external tanks in crates in the cargo compartment. I was in awe of the engines as I had only experienced -7s and -9s before that. We quickly made an overwater-nav to Hickam with it and flew the whole trip below crossover in order to make it a 10-hour trip.

My jealousy started when Dyess started getting the 74 models the next year with the APUs and large air conditioning packs.

I thought that the 73's went to LRF at first. They were there when I got to LRF in '75. If so how'd you make a 10-hour overwater to Hickam from LRF? Seems part of the story is missing. Anyway, sure liked flying missions with them, except for maybe the PPs with students in the winter! Ham-fisted students kept you on your toes knowing that any of the 100+ T&Gs might be an over-torque. Well it seemed like 100+ plus anyway.

I thought that the 73's went to LRF at first. They were there when I got to LRF in '75. If so how'd you make a 10-hour overwater to Hickam from LRF? Seems part of the story is missing. Anyway, sure liked flying missions with them, except for maybe the PPs with students in the winter! Ham-fisted students kept you on your toes knowing that any of the 100+ T&Gs might be an over-torque. Well it seemed like 100+ plus anyway.

I was at LRF in 74 when the '73 models arrived. Our overwater nav started with a trip to California. It seemed suspiciously like a benny run for someone other than me. That is the part that is missing, I guess.

Ham-fisted students kept you on your toes knowing that any of the 100+ T&Gs might be an over-torque. QUOTE]

Yep, George, I remember when we first started getting the 74 H-models at Dyess. I used to call out the torque on T&G's -- "15, 17, pull 'em back."

Don R.

Yep, George, I remember when we first started getting the 74 H-models at Dyess. I used to call out the torque on T&G's -- "15, 17, pull 'em back."

Don R.

We use to do "hot-turns"(?) at LRF. Morning crew would stay at acft and the turn FE would "debrief" them on the flight deck. They eliminated pre-flights for the afternoon crew this way. I was the turn FE one day and got the debrief from the AC and FE and they had over-torqued the engines to around 23k (from my memory). Written up on a red /. Not knowing exactly what was required for an over-torque, I upgraded the red diagonal to a red X, and entered my name.

CC was pissed as hell and said I couldn't do that. He called out his line chief who started to bitch at me. I had to stop him and told him that I thought it might a safety of flight issue so I upgraded the symbol for better clarification (and as a CYA thing for me) since I hadn't been given a good explanation of the inspection requirements.

He called the correct people out to explain the requirements, ie, if I remember correctly it could fly a combined to of 50 hours, etc., or something like that before the inspection was required. So they downgraded the red X to a red / and off we went on a 5 hour pilot pro.

Just one of the times I pissed off maintenance and the 16th TATS squadron CC. But I still have some ass left.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2012 at 1:23 PM, bobdaley said:

I have added the flies above to: Info and Reference Section --> Files --> C-130 Configuration Differences