Puerto Rico ANG C-130's in Fort Worth

Ztex

Hey all!

I spotted these two PR C-130's departing NAS Fort Worth today...old birds...I have read that PR is getting rid of the E's.

Were these headed to AMARC? or just normal movements? I've never seen PR birds here before.

Thanks,

Zane

64-0515

IMG_4217_64-515_nfw.jpg

64-0544

IMG_4186_64-544_nfw.jpg

From what I hear, they're getting/have the WCs that have been passed around from Keesler/ Willow Grove/ March/ Nashville.

If I am not mistaken, those aircraft at Nashville are/were WC-130Hs.

No. I see where the confusion comes in. At Keesler they have both slick Js and the Hurricane WC-Js. The slick airplanes owned by the Flying Jennies are going to Dobbins.

Unless perhaps there's something going on that I haven't heard yet, which is entirely possible.

See above.

Keesler has 2 Sqdns, 53 WRS has WC130J's and 815 AS Flying Jennies has C130J's

The 815 was to lose its J's to 700 AS at Dobbins but this was put on hold by Panetta, "read politics and elections"

There are 10 WC-130H's in the inventory, stripped of their weather gear and used as slicks.

Reserves have one used as a hack by the 39 RQS at Patrick 65-0977

One is at Waco being converted to an EC-130H 65-0967

The other 8 were at the 105 AS at Nashville. 105 is supposed to convert to drones. Their WC-130H's were supposed to go to the PRANG 198 AS in San Juan by 30 Sept, yesterday. The PRANG E models, the last in the Guard were supposed to go to AMARG by the 30th. I have not heard if this was done. I don't think this was one of the moves that Panetta squashed.

Bob

BTW The National Guard Bureau made an interesting pitch to Romney this weekend to shut down Army and AF Reserve units and give them to the Guard. I am surprised they did not ask for the Navy and Coast Guard Reserve too.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is the chin scoop and the oil cooler inlet unpainted on that P model er WC or whatever

Becuase the engine inlet air duct and oil cooler scoop can be anti-iced through the use of bleed air.

We know that, being FEs and all, I think he was wondering why they weren't painted like they typically are.

Because they normally aren't painted. From the Es to the H2.5s that I've flown, I don't recal ever seeing them painted.

AFSOC requires everything on the engine to be painted...legacy and Js. This is due to tone-down requirements. In this particular pix, this is a LMCO delivered MJ-130J and note the intake and oil cooler lips are bare metal...USAF drawings require this area to be painted. With regard to legacy and Js, it boils down to different QEC construction. On the legacy acft (non-AFSOC) the intake/oil cooler lips are typically left bare metal. On the Js, their different QEC Kit construction drives the entire lower area is all stainless, therefore paint would not stick well so it's not painted at all.