Today in C-130 History 2 Oct 1966

NATOPS1

1966-10-2

USAF 776 TCS C-130E 62-1840, c/n [cn]3803[/cn], shot down

1970-10-2

USAF 776 TAS C-130E 64-0536, c/n [cn]4025[/cn], crash.

While I understand the pain associated with the loss of an aircraft and FRIENDS

I do realize there are lessons to be learned from most aircraft losses.

I use a number of mishap reports (details) in my FE training classes and wonder if there is a way to link the post "Today in C-130 History" to the reports?

Maybe a members only area or a link to the data base that is public.

Also any good news post out there?

Thanks Guys/ Gals and be safe out there!!!

Are all the reports on one page? If you can provide a link, it can absolutely be added.

As for "good news post", It is not my intent to only post crashes/incidents etc. but I do believe, for any number of reasons, that they are significant events and should be included. I have added several first flights, etc. to the history database and will add more as I come across them/they are submitted.

There is a link in the Home page's "Today in C-130 History" and on the "C-130 History" main page for visitors to submit entries. If there is anything that anyone would like added, please submit it.

Are all the reports on one page? If you can provide a link, it can absolutely be added.

As for "good news post", It is not my intent to only post crashes/incidents etc but I do believe for any number of reasons they are significant events. I have added several first flights, etc to the history database and will add more as I come across them/the are submitted.

There is a link in the Home page's "Today in C-130 History" and on the "C-130 History" main page for visitors to submit entries. If there is anything that anyone would like added, please submit it.

I'm sure "all" the reports are not on one page... That would be nice!

Maybe someone on the "inside" can link these, I can access a few... so will see what we can post.

"It is not my intent to only post crashes/incidents etc "

I understand just an observation not criticism. I will try and send you a few first or intresting items...hope it would get folks to share their events with us.

You do a great job and I truly enjoy the site!!!

• 4 months later...

I was the crew chief on c-130E 64-0536 based out of CCK. I considered it my pride in taking care it for years. Wherever it flew, I was on it. Luck or whatever people call it, I was discharged Sept 1970. After a couple of months stateside I received a letter from the Air Force asking for a statement of the mechanical airworthiness of the aircraft. I did so state of the constant problems with the aileron system sticking. Sent the letter back and to this day have not heard any response. Every push rod, pulley, booster packs and cables were changed and still pilots would complain of the sticking. When you take such pride in your aircraft, it was such a sorrow to hear that the aircraft you were in charge of crashed, killing all on board. I have heard different stories of how it crashed, one was that it just rolled over on its back after takeoff. I still miss that aircraft, it was the finest, reliable workhorse known. I must have racked up over a thousand hours crew time, and would you believe the Air Force in all its gullibility does not have any record that I was in Viet Nam.

1966-10-2

USAF 776 TCS C-130E 62-1840, LPN 3803, shot down

1970-10-2

USAF 776 TAS C-130E 64-0536, LPN 4025, crash.

I use a number of mishap reports (details) in my FE training classes and wonder if there is a way to link the post "Today in C-130 History" to the reports?

64-0536 crashed on take off from Taipei.

Taipei was notorious for bad nav aids. at least twice when I was flying in there in the weather the ILS went out. and the NDBs would sometimes just shut off. After 536 crashed all new CCK crews had to have a ride with an IP or FE into Taipei pointing out the problems. the departure clearance was to climb to 3000 feet over the first NDB then to 6000 by the second NDB. The crew reported over the first NDB at 3000 was told they were cleared to 6000. They did not acknowledge the clearance and did not climb to 6000. They hit 30 feet below the top of a mountain. Why they did not comply with the clearance no one knows. most people thought they misunderstood the clearance or the nav aids went out. They did have a nav on board. I never heard any mention of any mechanical failure on the aircraft.

Bob

Russ aka GroovyKid, Welcome to the forum. What times span were you at CCK? There are quite a few of us on the forum that were probably there when you were! Also, I have quite a few pics of CCK and the area around Taichung etc. taken in 69 and 70. They are in my "users gallery" There are also quite a few others taken earlier than mine!!

If you would, update your profile for us snoops!!! You may find someone you hung out at the "Dozen" with!!!

Ken

The 776th TCS airplane was not shot down, it flew into the side of a ridge while on approach to Phan Rang.

1966-10-2

USAF 776 TCS C-130E 62-1840, LPN 3803, shot down

1970-10-2

USAF 776 TAS C-130E 64-0536, LPN 4025, crash.

The 776th TCS airplane was not shot down, it flew into the side of a ridge while on approach to Phan Rang.

From Lars' production list:

776 TCS 64-0536, LPN 4025, crash (into Cha Sha Tien Mt after take off from Taipei Taiwan.)

776 TCS C-130E 62-1840, LPN 3803, shot down (30 km south of Cam Ranh Bay, SVN.)

Is that not correct?

No, it's not correct, although it went into the records as having been shot down.

They were on their way into Phan Rang and had a brand new navigator on board. He was supposed to be keeping track of their position but failed to realize they were below high terrain. I knew the AC, engineer and loadmaster from Pope and was at Cam Ranh that night. It wasn't until after the war when the official records were declassified that anyone heard they were shot down. For some reason, the USAF classified several aircraft losses as combat losses even though they were believed to have been accidents. I heard that it had something to do with survivors benefits. They were higher for someone who was killed in combat than in an accident. Seems to me it was triple indemnity for the GI insurance. Also, civilian companies could deny benefits to victims of accidents caused by crew error.

From Lars' production list:

776 TCS 64-0536, LPN 4025, crash (into Cha Sha Tien Mt after take off from Taipei Taiwan.)

776 TCS C-130E 62-1840, LPN 3803, shot down (30 km south of Cam Ranh Bay, SVN.)

Is that not correct?

Wow! ronsram, that pretty amazing, especially when considering how the airplanes where flown when in country.

When I was at CCK, 72, we sent acft. in country with a recently completed phase inspection. Several weeks later the acft. would return to CCK out of time. When you looked down the intake you almost see out the tailpipe there was so much compressor blade erosion. Comply with the next phase, change all four engines, send the bird back to TSN. This didn't occur with every acft but enough that the engine shop guys just could not catch a break. Don't think anyone worked harder.

• 2 weeks later...

Gus Adams

I have had the same experience about unable to get information about ever being in Viet Nam. Spent Christmas 1965 and New Years Day 1966 there. Crewing A/C 63-7768 staying in Vung Tau. If you get any info on where to get any info about old flight records of A/C would appreciate it if you'd let me know. I was Stationed at Pope from Oct 1963 - April 1967, Originally assigned to 464th OMS, Periodic, Transferred to 778th TCS in 1965 as Crew Chief.

• 7 months later...