C-130h fuel transfer problem

doc130

Two aircraft (C-130H) #1 main tank on one aircraft and #4 main on another- slow to take fuel during transfer.I've replaced the refuel valves and all vent valves and borescoped all refuel and vent manifolds . Both tanks on different aircraft are still taking on fuel extremely slower than the opposite tank on the opposite wing.All the other tanks on both aircraft will take fuel at the same rate.I even physically checked the valves in the drybays and all are working... Anything I'm missing here ? any help is greatly appreciated.......Pete

What kind of pressure are you showing on the pressure gauge in the flight deck? What tanks are you transfering out of? If you are transfering out of other main tanks the transfer is going to be painfully slow due to the low pressure put out by the main tank boost pumps.

What kind of pressure are you showing on the pressure gauge in the flight deck? What tanks are you transfering out of? If you are transfering out of other main tanks the transfer is going to be painfully slow due to the low pressure put out by the main tank boost pumps.

You can transfer from any other tank back and forth and its normal just the effective tanks are extremely slow. Pressures are good and the transfer of fuel into those tanks is half the rate of fuel transfered into other tanks.On refuel (from a truck) its still extremely slow as the other tanks seem to refuel in unison...All valves,manifolds and refuel valves have been checked and all are good.I even trimmed the foam some under the FLCV to see if that would have made a difference (with no results).

Pressures are good and the transfer of fuel into those tanks is half the rate of fuel transfered into other tanks.

What we are looking for is the actual pressure reading so we can see if the reduced flow into the tank is caused by a restriction.

Fill up an AUX tank (or use a truck) and then transfer ONLY into your good tank and record the pressure and time to transfer say 1000lbs, then transfer into your BAD tank and record the pressure and time for that tank.

A restriction (into your BAD tank) will result in an increase in the pressure...

Also check the "tube" that runs from the center compartment to the outboard section of the tank if it is clogged, fuel will be slow to fill the outboard section of the tank resulting in the center section filling first and making the FLCV cycle (this would be indicated by a "Normal" transfer rate and then a reduction as the center compartment fills... your pressure would also cycle as the FLCV opens and closes.

• 1 month later...

I think you should take that top notch Guidance & Control guy's advice and check for power issues going to the valve. The issue isn't in your plumbing at all. You have to think outside the box! From what I know, he's almost a genious. Stick with him and you might learn a thing or two!