C-130J's to Pope?

mooseherc

Our General confirmed what we thought was just a rumor. Since Pope already has hangers built for the J, the AF is planning on taking the J-s that were going to Dobbins and ship them to us at KPOB and send our H2's to Dobbins. He sad it just has to get approved by congress. They said it would save a lot of money since they would not have to build anymore buildings.

Anybody else hear anything about this?

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but when I took my discharge from U.S.A.F. in 1967 little did I know that 45 years later such things as the name "Pope" would not only bring back a lot of memories, but such meaningful memories. My first permenant assignment was Pope AFB, Fayetteville N.C. Saw my first C-130 there, sat in the left seat for the first time at Pope, made my first aircraft repair at Pope. Arrived there very early 1964, but spent very little time there as I was fortunate enough to be selected to go along on a lot of the TDY's from Pope, until we did the CCK thing, then never saw the "Pea Patch" again. But Pope holds a lot of wonderful memories for me and I'm super glad to see "new blood" (the C-130J) being assigned there!

Pardon an old man's walk down memory lane!!!!!

tinwhistle

The J models going to Dobbins were 8 that are at Keesler 815AS now. All of those moves announced last year are on hold, so maybe. First plan I heard was that Pope was going to get 16 H's. 8 from Pittsburgh and 8 from Milwaukee. Last month I heard Pope only possessed 10 Herks and 2 of them are owned by Dobbins.

Bob

Man how things change...when I was at Pope in 68-69 we had 3 squadrons with about 16 E models each and now just 10 older H's total...and they don't even own them, wow! I stopped in there about 3 years ago and it looked like a ghost town on the flight line side. :( Bill

Our General confirmed what we thought was just a rumor. Since Pope already has hangers built for the J, the AF is planning on taking the J-s that were going to Dobbins and ship them to us at KPOB and send our H2's to Dobbins. He sad it just has to get approved by congress. They said it would save a lot of money since they would not have to build anymore buildings.

Anybody else hear anything about this?

When did the USAF began to care about wasting money. The were building a new hanger at Ardmore Air Force Base when they decided to shut it down in 1959. I helped shut it down. The doors were put on the hanger after AAFB closed.

snowyday

The J models going to Dobbins were 8 that are at Keesler 815AS now. All of those moves announced last year are on hold, so maybe. First plan I heard was that Pope was going to get 16 H's. 8 from Pittsburgh and 8 from Milwaukee. Last month I heard Pope only possessed 10 Herks and 2 of them are owned by Dobbins.

Bob

Who knows what will happen? The original plan was to grab Charley West's H2s even thought they were already slated to become MC-130Ws. The AF wanted to have 8 H2s & 8 H3s in the same squadron at Pope. Talk about the left hand not talking to the right.