Quiet

tinwhistle

You all remember the story of how, with the help from a buddy on this forum, I located and subsequently visited my old aircraft 877 down in Peoria IL. I took a ton of pictures of the activities on the flight line that evening, and I was just now going through them again and I think that this one is my favorite. I'm sure that all you crew chiefs out there (past and present) know of the bond between the "chief" and his bird. I love this image. How many times, I wonder, did I stand at the nose of 877 waiting for the bus to bring out the flight crew?

The flight line is quiet, we stand there with our thoughts, hand on "our plane", almost a carress.

tinwhistle (Chris)

Chris,

Brings back lots of memories. Of course in my memories, the radome was black, the paint job was SEA camo, no externals or the SKE radome and none of those other bumps and blisters and a different pair of fatigues.

Thanks for a great photo.

Don R.

You all remember the story of how, with the help from a buddy on this forum, I located and subsequently visited my old aircraft 877 down in Peoria IL. I took a ton of pictures of the activities on the flight line that evening, and I was just now going through them again and I think that this one is my favorite. I'm sure that all you crew chiefs out there (past and present) know of the bond between the "chief" and his bird. I love this image. How many times, I wonder, did I stand at the nose of 877 waiting for the bus to bring out the flight crew?

The flight line is quiet, we stand there with our thoughts, hand on "our plane", almost a carress.

tinwhistle (Chris)

I'm picturing in my mind that the CC is going "there, there girl, that mean old flight crew will be here shortly and we just have to live with that."

tinwhistle (Chris)

When I became an FE I always thought I was the plane's guardian until I returned her safe to her owner. The feeling of the carress is somewhere beween your child, a great dog, and a fine horse.

Yeah, brings back a lot of memories. I wish I had taken more photos while on trips, but was always too busy with "stuff".

Here is a photo of me sometime in 1970. I don't even remember where we were.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3125[/ATTACH]

Dallas

Dallas, These old photos make me smile. Do you remember being that skinny? Jerry Pegg and I were looking at photos of he and I at CCK 1972. Don't remember either one of us ever being that skinny and having that much hair. I still have just enough to comb but poor Pegg is at best a chrome dome. Have you seen his facebook picture? Anyway we looked as thought we were truant from school. We could, however, drink more than our share of beer.

BTW the hat is very cool.

Myers

Yeah. we drank some beer. We were young and had all the answers. I would like to see Jerry again someday. I got my nose broken one time at CRB. I don't know if Jerry remembers or not. It too involved Beer. I'll post a picture sometime.

I think this photo was taken at Tempelhoff Germany (Berlin). It is hard to remember.

Dallas

I'm picturing in my mind that the CC is going "there, there girl, that mean old flight crew will be here shortly and we just have to live with that."

Interesting George, this is what I was thinking while "launching my aircraft".

After engine start and when the LM entered the aircraft and was closing the crew door part of my checks were to kneel

down below the crew door and check the "jettison rod" to make sure it hadn't moved now that the crew door was closed, I would then scan the belly, both MLG areas to make sure no fluids were leaking out that shouldn't be leaking, go forward check the external power door, kneel down again and look in the Nose Wheel Well for leaks, make sure the FE had removed the NLG pin, go forward to the nose radome and give the ol' gal a couple of pats, and mumble " givem' a safe flight and we'll fix anything "they" break and get you ready for the next mission. Would proceed out to the marshallers area, waiting for the taxi lights.

Those were my thoughts all the years that I crewed!

73, Rex

Interesting George, this is what I was thinking while "launching my aircraft".

After engine start and when the LM entered the aircraft and was closing the crew door part of my checks were to kneel

down below the crew door and check the "jettison rod" to make sure it hadn't moved now that the crew door was closed, I would then scan the belly, both MLG areas to make sure no fluids were leaking out that shouldn't be leaking, go forward check the external power door, kneel down again and look in the Nose Wheel Well for leaks, make sure the FE had removed the NLG pin, go forward to the nose radome and give the ol' gal a couple of pats, and mumble " givem' a safe flight and we'll fix anything "they" break and get you ready for the next mission. Would proceed out to the marshallers area, waiting for the taxi lights.

Those were my thoughts all the years that I crewed!

73, Rex

Sounds like a top-notch CC to me herkfixer.

Thanks to all you crew chiefs for allowing me to borrow your airplane so three college graduates and a career NCO could take me and my cargo where it had to go......AND maintainin' it so it would be safe to do so, even though ocassionally she would create some "interesting" situations for us.......

Giz

I remember during Desert Shield my co-pilot was new to the unit. We only had the '88 H2s about a year before we deployed. He put his foot on his seat and stepped over the center console to get off the cockpit. I told him "sir, we don't do that in the Guard, we take care of our birds". Another time we picked up some Pope aircrew members and their loads started rigging seats to help get going sooner. One kept stepping on the troop seats. He looked up and saw me looking at him and stepped down and apologized. I said "young man, I personally know the crew chief and if he saw you do that to his new seats he'd cut your nuts off with a rusty Barlow knife".