Ghost Rider on the move

Spectre623

Just came from the Marietta Ga. Air Museum today. AC-130A 54-1623 c/n 3010 has been turned over to them by the AF museum and they are in the process of moving it out the back gate at Dobbins to their site. They are going to paint it in the colors along with the nose art "Ghost Rider" that it wore in VietNam as it has the 3 bladed props on it. Good to see it being given a home where it can be properly displayed and maintained. Will give updates as they occur. Will send Casey a pic or two to post as I gettem'. Bill:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Its a wonderful site buddy and nice post as well. I really love the info mentioned there and want to get benefited of the whole stuff. Thanks for all... have a nice day:)

testking latest exam questions testking latest exam questions

testking 70-659 test testking 70-659 test

testking 70-667 test testking 70-667 test

testking 70-685 test testking 70-685 test

testking 000-080 test testking 000-080 test

• 3 months later...

Stopped by Dobbins today and talked with the guys taking Ghost Rider apart for the move out the back gate. They have all 4 engines/prop assy off and moved to the museum. They have wing dollys in place and are removing the wing splice panels. After that the vert and horz stabs come off and she will be ready to move. Didn't have my camera with me so pics will have to wait till next visit. Will be great to see the old girl in a museum and being taken care of. Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Took some pics today of Ghost Rider and talked with the guys at the museum. The engines and wings are off and they have found a route that will not require the vert and horz stabs to come off. It will be a few weeks till the move is made due to some construction. . :) Bill

Edited by Spectre623

• 3 months later...

Ghost Rider was moved off base this morning as scheduled. No problems were encountered due to good planning by the museum crew. 27 overhead wires had to be dropped to get Herk off Dobbins ARB. It is sitting outside the museum fence till in the morning and will make its final move then. Will post pics after tomorrow. Bill

Well, as of today GhostRider is on museum property positioned between the wings. If weather is good tomorrow we will attach the wings.As you can see I'm a happy happy guy about this move. Attached are a few pics. Bill :)

Edited by Spectre623

Tues. weather was perfect and with the great crane operator and a museum crew with about a million years of aircraft experience both wings were hung in an amazing 4 hours. A good time was had by all. A few pics attached. Bill

Edited by Spectre623

No Ken my ugly mug is not in that pic as I was taking the pic. You might check a couple of post back and see me with a big grin in front of the crew door. The museum crew covers everybody from pilots, navs, FE's and mechanics from B-52's to C-130's. The biggest group are retired Lockheed workers with 30 years or more building everything Lockheed built here in Georgia. Their background of experience is mind boggling. But the main thing they all have in common is their love of everything airplane! This is a great thing for me as I took care of GhostRider the last 7 years before I retired in 2003 and with not much prospects of putting her at the front gate at Dobbins after 911, I had no idea she would make it to a museum. These guys in the pics saved her from becoming beer cans. yeahhhhhhh! Bill :)

Another good day at the museum. Installed the MLG doors and installed the 40MM gun barrels in their mounts. Took 4 men to lift just the barrels. Looks like a real gunship now. Opened the ramp also and lowered it to the ground. HAND PUMPED it closed..whew. I forgot how handy the aux pump is. For you none A model troops the A model don't have an aux pump like the B's on up. I remember we had 2 or 3 A's at Sewart that had Utility Prime and they had a crossover hose that would operate sorta like an aux pump. The early birds like 623 don't have it. Planning to hang engines next week if all goes well. Nice write up with pics today in the Marietta Journal about a pilot from here in Marietta that flew Ghost Rider in Nam. He came out to the Herk and the paper got a pic of him in the seat. Lot of interest from the locals about the Herk in the museum. (NOTE: THERE ARE NO COMPLETE GUNS ON THE ACFT. ONLY THE BARRELS) Bill

Edited by Spectre623

Hey folks the powers that be decided the gunsight in GhostRider had to be removed before they would turn it over to the museum. I need a picture so we can build a dummy gunsight. I have pics of every gunship sight from AC-47 to the AC-130U. Have hunted the webb over but can not find an A model gunsight. It was 10 years ago that I gave up GhostRider and can't remember enough detail about the sight. Post a pic here if you have it. THANKS!!! Also we will be hanging engines tomorrow if weather permits:) Bill

Bill,

Our current trainer here at Hurlburt is I believe an A model. To the best of my knowledge it has the pilots hud (I hope that's what you mean by gun sight) I will attempt to get a picture and either PM you or post it here.

Ron

Bill,

Our current trainer here at Hurlburt is I believe an A model. To the best of my knowledge it has the pilots hud (I hope that's what you mean by gun sight) I will attempt to get a picture and either PM you or post it here.

Ron

I'm told by one of the instructors here that the HUD was out of an A-7 I can't verify this, sorry

Edited by Ronc
Picture did not post

Another primo day at the museum. The rain held off and we hung all 4 engines...again in 4 hours same as the wings. Of coarse they aren't hooked up, ha ha...but still a fine job by a dedicated bunch of airplane lovers here in Marietta. I think it is ironic that ghost Rider after all these years, since 1954, ended up being restored and displayed within sight of the plant (1/2 mile) where she was built. A fine day. Bill:)

Edited by Spectre623

Excellent RONC, just what I was looking for. Would it be possible to get 2-3 different angles and close up? Let me know and I will PM you my email address. Thanks a bunch! Bill

RONC, if you are able to get additional images, please post them here as well.

Bill,

I have several picture of the A-model trainer, mostly the flight deck. I will attempt to post anoter view of the HUD here. I don't currently have any close-up views, but I will check with the others here and see if they have any. Thanks for what your doing for the old workhorse!

Ron