Ghost Rider on the move

Spectre623

• 2 weeks later...

Took pictures today of Ghost Rider after she is winged up, engined up, cowled up and buttoned up. Awaiting decision on how she will be positioned in relation to Atlanta Road which runs by the museum. She will receive a good scrubbing and then we put the lipstick on ha ha. The guys at the museum have put in a huge amount of man hours getting this puppy to where she is now and deserve a big THANK YOU from the C-130 world for saving her. Bill :)

Thank's for the pics and updates on progress for this bird!! i'm glad at least one of these things is going to be around for the public to see and learn about.The history of the gunships is too important to let slip quietly by. I have never been close to a gunship, I was a trash hauler and 18 series (elint platform) c/c, so I don't know much about gunships except what I have read. The one thing I do know, unfortunately, is I lost a good friend on Spirit 03 in the first gulf war. he and the 13 others on that plane, plus all the lost crew members on other gunships deserve recognition for their bravery and sacrifice. Thank you!! Mark Kralicek, c/c 62-1819

Question, seem to recall that the props on the A were positioned so that the #1 blade (?) was positioned in the 9 o'clock position but can't seem to recall why.

This was because of the oil pick up for the electric pump for positioning of the blade angle during static ground testing.

Edited by Dutch
screwed up

Whats the story behind the elongated dent in the fuselage to LM wheel well fairing?

The elongated wheel well pod on the left side was to house the FLIR ball when the gunships were modified to the "Surprise Package" configuration. The FLIR ball was removed and the fairing installed to ferry the plane to Dobbins in 1995. We have the fairing for the ball and will install a dummy FLIR as time permits. Bill

Question, seem to recall that the props on the A were positioned so that the #1 blade (?) was positioned in the 9 o'clock position but can't seem to recall why.

#3 blade at 9:o'clock position faceing the prop in front of the engine/prop.That position also placed the service/check plug at the 2:o'clock position.The prop.hyd.govenor adjustment was accessed through the same port.

• 4 weeks later...

The Air Force museum has approved the proposed paint colors for Ghostrider. It will be painted all black with red fin flash" FT "as pictured in the gallery on this website. If anyone has pictures of 54-1623 or crewed it "flt. and ground" during Vietnam please PM me as we are wanting to put together a display showing pics during the Vietnam era. Thanks, Bill

Edited by Spectre623

• 3 weeks later...

Another couple of pics of Ghostrider in the museum looking east towards Lockheed building B-1 (with the blue stripe) where she was built 59 years ago. Some journey huh? Also the sign we used to set beside Ghostrider that our Fab Shop made 17 years ago showed up the other day. They said they found it stuffed in with some other junk at Dobbins. Whoever it was who brought it by...thanks. More memories of bygone days on the Herk. :) Bill

You are right Ken, it is good to be able to see the Herks in the sky around Lockheed and Dobbins . And having the museum at the back corner of Lockheed With Ghost Rider in it and to be able to work on her is the icing on the cake. Glad you like the pics. Will keep this page updated on Ghost Rider. Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...