One Liners Four

snowyday

When a feller says, “I ain’t no fool,†he ain’t thinking – he’s wondering.

The best place to look for the family circle is around a square meal.

It takes a lot of jack to keep a car up.

I wasn’t surprised to read a man fell dead when he paid his income tax, it mighty nigh kills me.

An old codger told me he had seen a lot of changes in his time and he had been against all of ‘em.

A feller is getting along in years when he counts his change no matter how pretty the cashier is.

The feller that brags that he don’t never quarrel with his wife is mistaking cowardice for chivalry.

A Loafer is a man that rests before he gets tired.

Charity wouldn’t cost much if it went only to folks that’s needy through no fault of their own.

No matter how much or what kind of sense a feller’s got, if he ain’t got no sense about spending money he’s a fool.

The doctor told me to laugh at my troubles, and I did, but they laughed right back at me.

The reason a lot of folks has a hard time making ends meet is they cover too much territory.

Every time a feller tries to explain a lie, a little truth leaks out.

They say truth crushed to earth will rise again – but a lot of dirty work is done while it’s down.

In a lot of cases the chip on a feller’s shoulder is mostly bark.

There ain’t nobody tall enough to keep his feet on the ground while his head is in the clouds.

There’s a lot of advantages in being old, and any oldster would swap 10 of them for 1 advantage of being young.

Work is one of the most interesting things in the world, when the other fellow’s doing it.

It’s the club car, not the roadbed that makes the train rock so much.â€

Most of us would live very well on our incomes if Uncle Sam didn’t skim the cream off.

If a fellow spends much time yelling for his rights, he’s neglecting his duties.

If all the people who ate at boarding houses were put at one long table they would reach.

“Many a man prefers dampened spirits.â€

When I was a school kid a boy was a sissy that didn’t strike matches on the seat of his pants.

It looks like the only time a lot of folks love money is when they’re kissing it goodbye.

The feller that gets as high as a kite never makes a happy landing.

Skis are the swiftest transportation from white-blanketed mountainsides to white-sheeted hospitals.

This is the time of year when people go to Florida and give up good dollars for poor quarters.

When I was young, folks didn’t brag about their ancestors. They had family albums and knew what they looked like.

For us oldsters, Christmas comes twice as quick as it used to, and it ain’t half as much fun.

There’s a lot of folks in this world that the best way to get along with them is to leave them entirely alone.

A driver who has had a few quick ones may have a few close ones, too.

She has two strings to her bow and has two beaux on the string.

Being skeered of what the neighbors might find out has prevented more devilment than all the laws.

I believe if a woman’s intuition could be analyzed, it’d show up as being mostly suspicion.

I reckon the reason Uncle Sam’s legs are so long is because other nations have pulled them so much.

Young folks these days worry a lot more about an empty gas tank than about an empty head.

Even falling off a log wouldn’t be easy for some folks, as they couldn’t decide which side to fall off.

I think hillbillies are all right in their place – and that’s in the hills, not in the radio station.

A small income is a heck of a thing – difficult to live within and impossible to live without.

When people are green with envy they are ripe for trouble.

Some people are such loud dressers you can hear them hunting for their ties.â€

Democracy is a system under which a fellow who didn’t vote can spend the rest of the year kicking about the candidates the other fellows elected.

Opportunity doesn’t knock these days. It rings the phone and asks silly questions.

A feller has to be a mighty big egotist to feel important while looking at the stars.

The best thing to do for spring fever is to set as much and as loose as possible.

You can judge a man by striking an average between what his ma and ma-in-law think of him.

A man taking cold often measures his ounce of prevention in a jigger.

If a feller waits long enough for something to turn up, something will, but it’ll probably be his toes.

Being always on time, but not buying things that way, leads to a happy life.

No matter what sort of government or system of doing business, some folks have more spending money than others.