it's cold and .........

tusker

Why the nose hoses?????????????? In my time in the dark ages, we wore them to pre-breathe for HALO and that sort of thing, occasionally did a smoke in cabin/cockpit drill, same for a decompression, and if the FE had partaken of too many eggs at the KPOB chow hall......worked wonders for Jack Daniels induced arthritis of the skull ( so i have been told).. but seriously why would they be wearin' them, something to do with the JATO or soemthing??

giz

I thought about T/O altitude too, but nobody I could see on the ground had any respirators, so I discounted that....Maybe just to keep warm???LOL

Giz

Pressure altitude at the S. Pole is approximately 10,000 ft., which is why they were on O2.

I did not know that, but have seen other aircraft operated without the crew bein' on O2.......probably not a safe thing

I could be wrong but at one time the flight manual said that you had to be on O2 anytime the cabin altitude exceeded 10,000ft.

I guess I can see that, in-flight, but what about ground ops on fields at or above 10k????? Like maybe in the Andes or such places???

I understand your question, but unfortunately I can't explain or come up with a good answer. The only reason I commented on this is because I had the opportunity to fly with VXE-6 (Navy Squadron that flew Antarctic missions)prior to the NYANG taking over the Antarctic mission. Which is how I know that Pressure Altitude at the S. Pole is approximately 10,000ft. Wish I could come up with a better answer

Edited by bbsoto
Clarification

I could be wrong but at one time the flight manual said that you had to be on O2 anytime the cabin altitude exceeded 10,000ft.

Thats the way I remember it as well. In addition to that some A/C's had the crew go on O2 for a few minutes prior to a night takeoff.

Not long after I first checked out as a FE I had an E-9 tell me that on his first trip into South America at a field that was at 13,000 feet, he puzzled for some time on how to depressurize for landing since the pressure controller, in auto, only had a max 10,000 cabin altitude setting. Guess even chiefs had to start somewhere as an inexperienced FE.

Okay, guys, thanks for the clarifications.... But I do not remember any training, etc in reference to this situation, back in my day, I am, however, pretty sure a couple places we went to in South america was damn clsoe to this pressure altitude..... maybe this explains my dain bramage................Gotta remember this was so back in time that there were only eleven in a dozen... merry christmas to all, by the way and PISS ON THE MAYANS!!!!

Giz

My last flight as a C-130 FE was a ferry flight in December 1995 from Luanda to La Paz returning a leased H-model back to the Bolivian Air Force. The airport elevation is 13,000+ feet. My Filipino captain was a heavy smoker and was physically sick for the 4 days we were there. And no, we did not take O2 walk around bottles to the hotel with us.

Don R.

Edited by DC10FE
spelling, of course

We lost accumulator pressure on a C-141 at La Paz, couldn't get the APU started, it takes alot of strokes on the handle

to get enough pressure in the accumulator, at that altitude, 2 guys on the handle and an Engineer at the pannel checking

on the accumulator pressure. On the C-130, side after An Loc low we went to high level, I spent 41 days in Siagon,

in the Loadmaster drop pool, I remember Frantic Goat, these were leaflet drops, 8 hours, at 19,000 ft. Sucking on a

nose hose, The front end crew, had it easy, but humping 40 lb bundles for 8 hours, was not a picknick. During that

41 days, I ended being a second LM, on drops, dropping anything and everything

Rg Glenn

About the only times that I actually had to use the nose hose was when I was stationed at Hickam in the TG. Just about all of us went to Life Support had got a fitted helmet. A lot more comfortable.

There were a few other times I used mine. First was my cherry ride out of the 32nd. We were taking a bird to depot and the nav's radar scope burnt up. We went on O2, I depressurized and then pulled the top hatch. Landed at WR without any further problems.

Another time was coming back from a 10 hour overwater out of LR. The navs were done so we decided to see how high we could get. When cabin altitude started hitting 10k we put on O2 and ended up at 42,500 ft and cabin altitude was, oh, I just can't remember!!!!! :rolleyes: