Physiological Training Proof???---Records???

Mt.crewchief

I think I've got that right!!! When I volunteered as a load master/flare kicker for Blind Bat in 1968, I was sent to Kadena for a week or so to attend classes to become a qualified flight crew member. The classes that I had to go through was the altitude chamber, spatial disorientation, the g-force ejection seat, and parachute training (the tower and getting out of the harness etc.) I also had to undergo a flight physical and qualify at the shooting range with the 38 Spec. revolver and the M-16 with full auto (3 shot bursts)!! All of that stuff was pretty exciting for a 2-stripe maint puke, but when I look through my records that I have there is no mention of any of this. I may not have gotten all of my records like I thought I had, but isn't there some kind of certification to show that I completed the course at Kadena? Also, other than pictures that I took while at Ubon and Blind Bat missions, I have nothing on my records showing that either! I did get two Air Medals for my 40 missions, but no mention of why I received them.

Do you guys think that I should put in another request for my records again and somehow specify that I think I am missing some of them?

My DD214 shows my medals, so I guess there must be something somewhere that shows my activities during my fun-filled 18 months at Naha!!!

I guess I did get all of my certifications for training like my base drivers license, re-fuel defuel, towing etc.!!! You know, all of the important ones!!!!

Thanks for your input,

Ken

I went back through my records again today and found a few more items of interest. I did find the flight physical that stated it was a physical for a load master, But, I see no records of what it was for other than a flight physical. Nothing tying me to Blindbat ! Maybe the physiological training will show up in my other records!! I've been known to overlook things!!!!

Thanks for your interest,

Ken

I have a card, slightly smaller than a credit card, made of paper, of course, stating I had completed phyisiological training, and therefore was authrorized to care the MC-1 switchblade knife as part of my flight gear.. you know the orange one with the spring loaded knife blade, but the shroud line cutter had to be dug out with an ungloved hand...... HMMMMMMMMMM!!!! I MAY even still have the knife somewhere. I think I have an 8x10 or whatever blue certificate as well, and it is noted in my Form 8 file that I have, noting my re-cert at Langley

Giz

I have a card, slightly smaller than a credit card, made of paper, of course, stating I had completed phyisiological training, and therefore was authrorized to care the MC-1 switchblade knife as part of my flight gear.. you know the orange one with the spring loaded knife blade, but the shroud line cutter had to be dug out with an ungloved hand...... HMMMMMMMMMM!!!! I MAY even still have the knife somewhere. I think I have an 8x10 or whatever blue certificate as well, and it is noted in my Form 8 file that I have, noting my re-cert at Langley

Giz

Ahhh, the MC-1 switchblade knife. You might be able to cut butter with it.

Wow, interesting that you should mention that MC-1 switchblade knife, I just found mine last week and gave it to my Grandson along with the fixed blade knife I carried on missions in Nam and your right that switchblade was not much of a knife

I had a nice 4" fixed blade knife that I carried in a boot sheath. But lost it when they sent me through arctic survival school in '83 after flying Hercs for 5 years and at Elmendorf for almost a year. Hell it might still be in the woods outside Eilson AFB.

So did I, George. It was real handy for airdrop riggin, and once for freein' a fouled paratrooper......Then, I used it to jump the poles on the solenoid on a sweet young thing's Mustang, at Hickam one warm tropical night..... The arc knocked the hell out of the blade, that was the end of that story.....Oh hell, she probably looks like a tater sack full of door knobs now, but back then........................

Giz

So did I, George. It was real handy for airdrop riggin, and once for freein' a fouled paratrooper......Then, I used it to jump the poles on the solenoid on a sweet young thing's Mustang, at Hickam one warm tropical night..... The arc knocked the hell out of the blade, that was the end of that story.....Oh hell, she probably looks like a tater sack full of door knobs now, but back then........................

Giz

I really didn't carry it until my Hickam assignment. Our chutes were in our seats and were part of the preflight inspection - checking inspection date, etc. Then it just became a habit after that assignment.

Giz

"tater sack full of door knobs"-------Now that's funny!!!!!!!!

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the question of proof of altitude/physiological training, that would have been in a fight records file that you would have to have picked up when you separated or PCSed

It would have contained all your flight status orders, chamber training records, flights and flight hours, type of plane flown on ect.