V A Claims

tinwhistle

I was digging around in the ol' computer looking for one thing and came across something else, I had forgotten all about. Every now and then we get started on the topic of VA and the broken compensation program. Some time ago there was a guy by the name of Jim Strickland who ran a web site called "The A to Z Guide: Veterans Disability Benefits". This site operates hand in glove with another site, "VA Watchdog". Both of these resources are excellent!!!!

I've attached a document I down loaded from one of those sites and you will find it interesting and entertaining!!!!!!!

tinwhistle

Jim Strickland lettter.doc

Edited by tinwhistle

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck Gizz,

When I retired I sent documentation to the VA to start my process including current DD Form214s.

I have a civilian job and they told me that I make to much money and placed me in catagory 8 (basically no benefits).

After being out 3 years, a VA advocate told me that I should have been put in a lower catagory because I had been in several combat zones.

I was supposed to be automatically placed in the lower catagory for at least 4 years.

He helped me reapply and the local VA clinic scheduled a physical, eye test and hearing test.

Before the hearing test I received notification my 4 years of eligibility was up and I was back in catagory 8.

I went to my hearing test in late Nov and on 10 Dec I recieved a bill for $50.

On the 11th I recieved an"nasty gram" stating if they did not recieve $50 by 31 Dec they would garnish my retirement pay.

How's that for love?

Giz by any standard its a long prosess . The first year they rejected it for lack of proff. (The proff I had to get from them) Than they told me it was classafied and could not be released to the public ,than low and behold the proff came in the form of travel vochers whitch I submitted and a year later they finaly approved me at 20% a year later to 40% and a year after that to 50% at this point I quit aruguing with them so again be paient you earned it

I just don't get it. For every story I read or hear about like C-130Hcc and jmitch's, there are numerous stories about guys getting approved for things like indigestion and heartburn and stuff like that, with little to no effort required on their part. I work with a guy who got 10% for that very thing, and he didn't have to jump through many hoops to get it either. It makes no sense.

Giz by any standard its a long prosess . The first year they rejected it for lack of proff. (The proff I had to get from them) Than they told me it was classafied and could not be released to the public ,than low and behold the proff came in the form of travel vochers whitch I submitted and a year later they finaly approved me at 20% a year later to 40% and a year after that to 50% at this point I quit aruguing with them so again be paient you earned it

Well, they have had all this stuff for the majority of the time since I started my process.. reckon they ar ehopin' to drag it out until this so-called president and this sorry ass congress takes away all the funding, and then says "Sorry"

• 2 weeks later...

Only a year???????????????? I am now into 19 months, no contact with them since last Junewhen my case was sent to Kentucky..............Went to the Va rep last week, we sent a "What the hell is takin' so longer" inquiry,, SUPPOSEDLY will get ansnwer in seven to ten "working" days.... whatever the hell THAT means, seems like contrardiction in terms.... He thinks we are probably gonna have to play the congressman card. Oh boy.....we have a rookie congressman, a real Obama yes man, so that ought to be good!!!!!!!!!!! Think is, since i first started this process, my diabetes has progressed toi the point that I am now on medication..........

Giz

The saga continues> YAY!!!!! Like I said earlier, I filed a what are you doin' with my claim form, and by golly got an answer today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get a big envelope full of the booklet, confidentially statements and all that, same stuff I got almost 20 months ago when I started this journey.......It had a cover letter tellin' me that the booklet had personal information that I needed to safeguard.. there is not one damn thing in it related to me specifically............And, to top it all, this crap came from PENNSYLVANIA!!!!!!!!!! Got only 46 more states and I will have involved them all!!!!!!!!!!!Absolutely incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giz

I got that same envelope plus the letter explaining how to file an appeal. The letter starts with--"After careful and compassionate consideration, a decision has been reached on your claim" Then it goes on to say if they were not able to grant some or all of the VA benefits you asked for, you are able to disagree with their decision!

Then of course the rest of the page goes on to let you know how to disagree!!! What I don't know yet, is what is the decision that has been reached?? Is there a letter with a decision coming? or am I supposed to guess? I filed two claims about a month ago. one for Tinnitus, and one for a hearing loss that I have documented while I was stationed at Naha !

I also got that cool looking booklet in my envelope!! Also from Pennsylvania!!

I guess I can assume that either one or both of my claims have been approved--or dis-approved!!!

I guess I am lucky to have heard from them so soon!!! Whatever the decision!!!!

So, Giz, I guess I may be starting my experiences with the "waiting game"!

Ken

Frustrating business dealing with VA. I finally got a "settlement" for 20%. 10% for a surgical procedure that left the last 2 fingers on my left hand numb, and 10% for tinnitis (stupid invincable 20 year olds dont need no stinkin ear protection on the flightline). But my biggest frustration has been not being able to prove my boots on the ground in vietnam. That would sure help with my Type II diabetes. After numerous requests for records and receiving pages of documents I didnt request, I've just about given up.

Sparks doint give up after two years and being turned down I made a form letter request sighned it made copys and resent it to every place the airforce stores records I think there is about 20 places. Low and behold the prof came in the form of two travel vochers to vietnam go figger hang in there it will come in time. doint let them win they doint deserve it you do.

Hey, sparks, I sent for travel vouchers, got them back in about two weeks or so ( believe that or not) all the prooof i needed, sent it in, and that is where it ended , nearly eight months ago now.. One thing, and I ain't no conspiracy fan or nothing, but it seemed to me that my vouchers did not show every place i went, or that I remember bein at,or ovewr for tht matter, I don't know if I didn't enter it all or what......the forms seem okay, but just not quite right......Probably my own negligence, but if I can find the little green notebook I had that I kept some of thats tuff in, maybe i can verify it.........I know I didn't imagine some of this stuff....................

I did not ask for orders... Although they say you were to go somewhere, they don't necesarily prove you went...........I asked for travel vouchers within a specific time frame, months and year..................What came back were several pages (copies) of the travel vouchers I had filed way back when........... I have been toying with requesting some others from other trips, but haven't done that yet..... Hope this helps......

giz

The last time I requested documents I asked for every piece of paper that had my name on it. I received several interesting items in return, however, the actual number of documents was slight. I can't help but think that there was more to my enlistment than what I received. I think it's a crap shoot: depends on who gets the job assigned to them and what kind of day they're having. Having said that: You need to make the request, more than once if need be.