V A Claims

tinwhistle

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are probably correct, Chris.....................reckon it is also dependent on how the stuff was filed to begin with. If they threw away body parts at Dover, they sure as hell would have trashed some paper, don't ya think????????

No doubt Giz,

In light of the many times that the USAF lost such things as my medical records, my tool box inventory, and several other files on my various TDY's, I can imagine what it was like keeping paper work up to date and located at the same place as the individual!!!! Having said that, the US Military has been doing this for more than 200 years; you would think they'd have it figgered out by the 1960s!!!!!!!!!

In my minds eye I picture a pallett load of of personell files all boxed up ready to be shipped to the states from CCK in 1969 (or whenever), and that pallett sits there, yet today, on the edge of the flight line!!!!!!!!!! :)

No doubt Giz,

In light of the many times that the USAF lost such things as my medical records, my tool box inventory, and several other files on my various TDY's, I can imagine what it was like keeping paper work up to date and located at the same place as the individual!!!! Having said that, the US Military has been doing this for more than 200 years; you would think they'd have it figgered out by the 1960s!!!!!!!!!

In my minds eye I picture a pallett load of of personell files all boxed up ready to be shipped to the states from CCK in 1969 (or whenever), and that pallett sits there, yet today, on the edge of the flight line!!!!!!!!!! :)

Yeah, no manifest, she no go..........................gotta have that weight and balance inforamtion in order to fly safely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!

The last batch of useless documents I got back from my SF-180 request came with a form letter demanding $$ for processing the request! I had specifically requested travel vouchers but received copies of OER's. This was the second time a request for vouchers was unsuccessful. By the way, I didn't and won't pay their extortion money. J.Mitch, I'm going to have to take your advice and just keep papering every agency I can think of.

Boy, something ain't right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have never heard of them requestin' money........It is extremely aggravating, at least to me, to see the variety in and the range of the service the Va and such provide. Just on this site, it runs from a very easy process to the pain in the ass some of us are experiencing............... I have not had any real problem with the SF-180's, both for myself and ones i have helped others with, from other military branches, as well, and different eras.... Hell, once, and i can't remember what it was for, I got a notificatiopn that I had earned, as part of the 36th, an AFOU award and an oak leaf cluster for it as well. Not a big thing, of course, but something I did not know I was entitled to. Never did find outr why................Reckon Ol Jerry is right, just keep poundin' on them. I know that's what I am doin".

Giz and Sparks theres a list of places ware services keep records , however with that said I notested if you keep sending to stlouis you will get something different every time. You do have to look thrue each batch because they eill stick something different in with it and no explanation. But keep trying I finaly got a good service officer out of atlanta ( you know you can go to different ones in your whole state) so if you doint like yours go to a different one, remember the more your a pain in the ass you are the more they want rid of you, hate to say it but it works. If you cant find the list let me know I will find the one i used.

As Giz would say load clear

Sparks the list of locations for service records are on page 2 of standard form 180 there they list 14 of them however they are missing 4 important ones they are as follows 1. Defense Finance and Accounting Service Denver Center, DAA Denver,CO 80279 (for pay records).

2. HQ Air Force Personnel Center Attn:AFPC/DPSIDER 550"C" Street West,Suit12 Raandolph AFB ,TX 78150-4714

3. National Archives and Records Administration ATTN: Textual Records Reference Staff (nwct2r) 8601 Adelphi Road College Park, MD 20740-6001

4. USAF Historical Research Agency Attn: Reference Division 600 Chennault Circle Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6424

Hope this helps

Many of the answers, etc, that I have gotten back have come from these places, at the end. However, if yousend the SF180 to the address they tell you to, the inquiry gets routed to the appropriate one of these. That has been my experience, and, on top of that, several years ago I sent an inquiry directly to one of these, can't remember which now, and never, ever got an answer. sent the 180, and it came back in maybe a month... Come to think of it, it was a change to my 214, maybe. But it does not seem that there is any pattern to what they do.....................

Yeah, all it proves that there is consistant inconsistancy................................As you can see from this site, everybody has a different story...................sooner or later they HAVE to run out of alternatives........No damn wonder it takes so long to get your claim handled...................... As an aside, just to show an example........ I got out Feb 4, 74, yep 39 years ago yesterday....... in July of 75, my wife and i set out to buy a house, tried to get a VA loan....we were told we couldn't get one because of where we lived, " Now if you wanted to buy a house in Baltimore. we can get one for you.""" Our realtor was furious, tried all kinds of things, but got the same answer....so nothin' has changed

Next round.............went to my VA rep today, showed him the crap I had gotten couple of weeks ago and asked about my inquiry, that has not been answered in the orignal time period they had said..He tells me they have decided that that was not enough time and had extended it to something like thirty days...............Here the can bein' kicked????? ost of you saw the article about how bad maryland was for processing.. it seems that the Balto. Sun and Wash. Post has really been on their case, so next week there is going to be a HIGH LEVEL meeting with the sorry ass maryland VA people and Mikulski , Cardin, Delany and some others. "THEY WANT ANSWERS" Babbs the midget says...oh there is a real heavy hitter.. What gets me is that crap has been going on for years and they just now know about it?????????????? Bullshit!!!!!!! And, in an area with a large numberof Nam vets, Korea vets, WWII vets, and a disproportionately small number of Iraq-Afghan vets, our local paper is more interested in high school basketball and the local animal shelter than this issue..... In-&*%#$%%-credible. and, yep, Dan I am flingin' more letters at my so-called representatives............

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think the member is liable for any costs regarding records retrieval, that's only the case if its next of kin requesting them

I have helped next of kin get information like 214s and such, and I don't think any of them had any charges applied. That may not be the case in every situation, but this, somehow, just doesn't sound kosher to me...

let me make a little change to my last post.. I was correct, but....................if a member's records have been placed in the national arhcives, then they become fee-applicable, and there are some fairly steep charges.............That bein' said, it comes to where your info is it appears that after 60-62 years passes since separation, your info goes to the NA. Prior to that your records, supposedly reside in the various military record centers, so maybe that accounts for the question on fees.

Giz

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally had my medical evaluation appointment today at the VA Pension and Compensation office. Maybe I should be concerned since it was at the office in the Northway Mall and not the VA Clinic. :confused:

Only taken about a year to get that far. Now to get some x-rays, etc., before the PA can make a determination. I'm hoping for a decent percentage finding, 50% or more. That way it'll help us out with our property taxes, DMV fees, etc. If not that high then at least a determination for the recognition of the service connected problems.

Well, I finally had my medical evaluation appointment today at the VA Pension and Compensation office. Maybe I should be concerned since it was at the office in the Northway Mall and not the VA Clinic. :confused:

Only taken about a year to get that far. Now to get some x-rays, etc., before the PA can make a determination. I'm hoping for a decent percentage finding, 50% or more. That way it'll help us out with our property taxes, DMV fees, etc. If not that high then at least a determination for the recognition of the service connected problems.

A YEAR???????????????????? Man, you are on a greased rail..............I have been waitin' now 21 months, and just in the past two weeks have had my medical evals, for.....hearing ( WHAT you SAY), Diabetes (well that is a given now, hypertension ( don't know why, but my BP was the highest it has been maybe ever), AND a pretty signifcant loss od range of motion etc in my ankle that I broke, fallin' out of an airplane.............Waitin' now on the doctor's reports. Oh yeah, George, if this was your AO eval, I had a PA do mine,almost two years ago, but don't know where that went. I think, but I am not sure, that MD's make the final determinations. So who knows, you may be gettin' paid way before I do.My guess , and I am usually wrong in these things, but I COULD end up with maybe 400 to 600+ a month, with an outside of 800+. and a potential back pay of maybe $9k to $13K, and an outside of $19k. Now I know I ain't gonna do anywhere that well on any of them. I could reach in to barrle of P****ies and pull out an A&&&hole, just have to wait. BTW george, private message me your home mailing address and after I get back home next week, I'll get the stickers off to ya. Same goes for you, too, TW

Giz

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys, after listenin' to my rants for 23 months, I hereby announce I received my VA disability claim completion today. Yep, finally.. thanks to the folks up in Maine. Now my confirmation stuff came from Baltimore, and had notations that I still needed to send them my wife's SSN and the routing number for my bank account. all of which I sent and and have copies to verify it, However, I find it easy enough to send it to them again and be done. So my advice is if you live in maryland, MOVE before you file any claims..... 23 months of back pay comin', too...................Okay now I have to find another windmill to tilt with. and thanks to allmof you guys for the encouragement.......

Congratulations Giz.... maybe this will encourage my dad to keep trying to fight these people. Right now he isn't to "bright eyed" on the outcome. So maybe this will give some glimmer of hope.

Gary, if there is anything I can add, from my experience, to help, send me a private message and we will go that route. I have learned that not everybody gets the same treatment, and my experience is much different than others, but it could provide some direction. I'd be glad to help in any way I can

Giz