HAVING SOME HF ISSUES

CRAW

WE WORK ON A NAVY HERC PRIOR TO 165. OUR PLANES HAVE THE LONG WIRES FOR HF ANTENNAS THAT CONNECT TO THE VERT STAB TO THE FORWARD OF THE FUSELAGE. HER IS THE GRIPE, HF 2 COUPLER FAULT LIGHT COMES ON WHEN YOU KEY THE MIC. HF 2 WILL NOT TRANSMIT NOR RECEIVE. IF THE MIC IS NOT KEYED AND THE TEST IS INITIATED ON THE CONTROL HEAD THE RT LIGHT COMES ON. WE HAVE SWAPPED COUPLERS, CONTROL HEADS AND R/TS WITH THE GRIPE NOT FOLLOWING. CHECKED THE COAX RESISTOR BUT HAVE NOT CHECKED THE HF #2 RELAY. WE HAVE CHECKED A NUMBER OF WIRES ALL READING GOOD. ANYONE HAD THIS ISSUE BEFORE OR HAVE ANY POINTERS TO GIVE ME. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP. THANKS.

I have no idea what radios you have installed on your aircraft. Do you still have the 618T, the ARC-190, or something else installed? The interlock wiring system on these is ridiculous. Please let me know. I drew up a troubleshooting diagram for the ARC190. I can send it to you.

The worst thing they did when they replaced the HF-102 system with the ARC-190 was to install dual systems. The complexity of the antenna interlock system overcomes the great reliability of the new HF, causing more problems and headaches to maintainers. The guys that have the newer rear stabilizer antenna don't have this headache, even though the radios share the same antenna.