Wear limitations for tire replacement

edwardlcy

hey guys, was wondering if there's any reference in the manuals that you guys can share regarding the limitations of wear and tear which requires replacement of the tires....currently we replace as soon as the threads are visible during post flight check....we are using goodyear 24-ply rating tires at the moment.

appreciate it, thanks!

hey guys, was wondering if there's any reference in the manuals that you guys can share regarding the limitations of wear and tear which requires replacement of the tires....currently we replace as soon as the threads are visible during post flight check....we are using goodyear 24-ply rating tires at the moment.

appreciate it, thanks!

Edward, The wear limitations you are using indicate the MAF is not retreading C-130 MLG tires. Is there a reason for this? By doing so your air force is missing out on significant cost savings. Am confident there is a company in your part of the world certified to retread aircraft tires. Or if your tires are procured through Foreign Military Sales your Liaison Officer at the Air Force Security Assistance Center at Wright Patterson AFB should be able to help.

Edward, The wear limitations you are using indicate the MAF is not retreading C-130 MLG tires. Is there a reason for this? By doing so your air force is missing out on significant cost savings. Am confident there is a company in your part of the world certified to retread aircraft tires. Or if your tires are procured through Foreign Military Sales your Liaison Officer at the Air Force Security Assistance Center at Wright Patterson AFB should be able to help.

Do you run retreads on your vette?????? Sorry, my friend, just had to fire that one off!!!!!!!!!!

Yeh, the majority of aircraft tires are retreads and in many cases are considered a superior product to new ones as they have been through an extensive inspection process and the casing is proven. They're able to be retreaded up to 6 times and have been used on everything- Connies, Tri-Stars, Starfighters, Herks - you name it.

Do you run retreads on your vette?????? Sorry, my friend, just had to fire that one off!!!!!!!!!!

Nope. do not and would not even if they were available. But don't ask why not as I don't have a good answer. Other than it's been years since I've seen a retread car tire on the for sale rack. The painfull aspect of Vette tires is that a set of four costs about two grand and in seven years am working on my fourth set. My last set lasted about 10,000 miles. High Performance Driving Events are the reason.

On another note, something I know your well aware of. In my newpaper yesterday was an article about excessive length of time to process VA claims. Guess what, the Baltimore office was at the top of the list. And they had the most errors.

I must be missing something here. I know that technology has changed a lot in the almost 50 years since I changed tires on my Herk, but I simply cannot imagine retreads on an assault landing......

Chris, You are right, retread technology has changed a great deal since our day. Not surprisingly it's much improved. All tires submitted for retread are throughly inspected both visually and by NDI. So, the smallest defect is detected and can be cause for rejection. Not unusual to send what appears to be a perfectly good tire off to the retread facility only to have it returned with a reject tag.

I think when you were changing tires at least some of them were retreads. I say this because at the same time I was an A crew chief doing the same job as you and like you not giving a damm if the tire was a retread or not, only that it was servicable. I do recall, however, that some tires coming out of the tire shop were, in fact, retreads.

It should be pointed out that a retreaded acft. tire looks much different than, say, a heavy truck tire. The retread on an aircraft tire continues down each side of the tire. In most instances it is very difficult to ascertain if the tire is, in fact, a retread. The only way to tell for sure is to look for a brand on the sidewall indicating the retread facility and a number indicating how many retreads the tire has had. In our day the retread facility was in Atlanta, GA.

The only acft. that I know of that did not use retreads and did not replace tires based on tread wear was the SR-71. Its tires where changed based on number of landings.

I, no doubt, am looking at the retread tire from the viewpoint of a former "big rigger" who has had more than my share of retread tire problems. As a 20 or 21 year old Herky Fixer I don't recall if I ever knew or cared if the tire was a retread, just as you pointed out Larry! I wish this thread would have been going last fall when I reunited with 877, it would have been interesting to look at the tires on the ol' gal!!!!!! I certainly didn't think of it at the time!!

Nope. do not and would not even if they were available. But don't ask why not as I don't have a good answer. Other than it's been years since I've seen a retread car tire on the for sale rack. The painfull aspect of Vette tires is that a set of four costs about two grand and in seven years am working on my fourth set. My last set lasted about 10,000 miles. High Performance Driving Events are the reason.

On another note, something I know your well aware of. In my newpaper yesterday was an article about excessive length of time to process VA claims. Guess what, the Baltimore office was at the top of the list. And they had the most errors.

Larry can you send me a link to that article?????? It is absolutely ridiculous such a situation exists anywhere, much less in one of the wealthiest states in the country, of course, as you well know from your trips through here, that ends at the Fredrick county line!!!!!!!!

Chris,

Did you ever install a tire in SEA that just cut your hands to shreds? The treads were full of small wires that were like little razor blades. I seem to remember I was told that they were to be used on ice or snow. Just what we needed to safely taxi onto the ramp at Saigon!!

Don R.

Chris,

Did you ever install a tire in SEA that just cut your hands to shreds? The treads were full of small wires that were like little razor blades. I seem to remember I was told that they were to be used on ice or snow. Just what we needed to safely taxi onto the ramp at Saigon!!

Don R.

Ya know Don, I had forgotten all about that until just now!!!!!! And you're correct, I remember being told the same thing about ice and snow. It's amazing how much I've forgotten about those years!!!!! It's also amazing to think how young I was and how much I knew (at the time) about the C -130!!!!! CRS!!

Chris

P.S. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by tinwhistle

Chris,

Don R.

You didn't have to be in SEA to get those tires.I left a lot of skin and a little blood in the MWW's of herks in Europe. I was told that they are pretty effective on slick ramps , T/ways and R/ways.There was some nose tires equipt with wires too.

you learned to keep your gloves on and your sleeves rolled down around them when you had a pallet or ack or whatever they were loaded on when ya put them in the wheel well pallet positions. I do remember that, tryin' to get by them doin' before take off and in-flight checks...... They could bite ya quick

Giz

Larry can you send me a link to that article?????? It is absolutely ridiculous such a situation exists anywhere, much less in one of the wealthiest states in the country, of course, as you well know from your trips through here, that ends at the Fredrick county line!!!!!!!!

Larry, this article was in our local paper today........Our two powerhouse senators are "on the case."""" yeah right,,,,,,,,,,Mikulski can't see over the desk and cardin has went into hibernation for another six years

Larry, this article was in our local paper today........Our two powerhouse senators are "on the case."""" yeah right,,,,,,,,,,Mikulski can't see over the desk and cardin has went into hibernation for another six years

Giz, Am assuming, based on above post, you don't need the link you asked me to fwd. If not let me know.

Giz, Am assuming, based on above post, you don't need the link you asked me to fwd. If not let me know.

Nope, this should do it. amazing it shows up in Ohio two days before it does here...........tells ya somethin, I think.. Why, of, why did I ever leave West Virginia????????????????

Giz

can somebody provide me with a reference on the price vs performance of a brand new tire vs retread? will need to ask my logistic command to conduct a study on this..

Edward, Getting your logistic command involved is for sure the right approach. They will have the expertise and wherewithal to help you make the right decision.

Don't have anything official but my own experience over a period of about 40 years is the use of retread tires is equal to virgin tire performance and far more economical. A virgin tire that would be discarded after three/four months use, if not retreaded, conciveably, if retreaded, could still be in service over a period of three/four years.

I may be able to determine the price of a new C-130 MLG tire versus a retread tire. If successful will pass the info to you.