For all veterans with a service connected disability: (or if disabled)

FYI

Access Pass

Free

For U.S. citizens or permanent residents with permanent disabilities.

May be obtained in person at a federal recreation site or through the mail using this application form. The cost of obtaining an Access Pass through the mail is ten dollars ($10) for processing the application (the Pass is free). Applicants must provide documentation of permanent disability and residency or citizenship.

May provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services.

Generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access_pass_application.pdf

store.usgs.gov

Scott Little

• 3 weeks later...

Here is one benefit I never knew about until, oh maybe three months ago, Lowe's will give a 10% discount on ANYTHING if you have a military ID or VA ID. I found out this way.. was buyin' some stuff, went to cehck out and the cashier makes note of my C-130 cap, and asks if I am in the military, reckon she didn't see my 12 inch long pony tail. I said no, not now, but had been many, many years ago. She asked if I had a Va card or anything, I said yeah, and she proceeds to tell me about the discount, gets it authorized, and I been doin' that ever since. There was a small note on a door there about this, but nothin' that would catch your eye. My daughter worked at Lowes over 13 years ago when she was in nursing school, and said they had it even then, but they were never told to publicize it, or even how to get the discount applied......

Giz

Home Depot will do the same only the cashier has the authority to apply the discount whereas at Lowe's only certain people have the authority.

I figured that was the case, but out here on the frontier we don't have both, just Lowe's. And yes the cashier has to get a front end manager to allow it, but I have not eve had a problem with that. I want to see what happens when I go to any of the lowe's stores around Asheville, NC, where my daughter lives. She always has a "Poppa" project for me when I go down there.

LOWES has had that benefit for some time. Home Depot would only give them on certain holidays. A couple of years ago one of the Home Depot pilots, who I used to work with in Kentucky, was here in Houston and we got together for lunch. While we were talking I mentioned that Lowes was giving discounts but Home Depot would only give them on holidays. He got all upset and said he'd talk to somebody about it. A few days later I got a call from a Home Depot executive who told me that they were changing the policy, that it was actually supposed to be all the time but somebody had dropped the ball. So, the next time you go into Home Depot and show your VA card, just remember "I can thank Sam McGowan for this discount"!!

Here is one benefit I never knew about until, oh maybe three months ago, Lowe's will give a 10% discount on ANYTHING if you have a military ID or VA ID. I found out this way.. was buyin' some stuff, went to cehck out and the cashier makes note of my C-130 cap, and asks if I am in the military, reckon she didn't see my 12 inch long pony tail. I said no, not now, but had been many, many years ago. She asked if I had a Va card or anything, I said yeah, and she proceeds to tell me about the discount, gets it authorized, and I been doin' that ever since. There was a small note on a door there about this, but nothin' that would catch your eye. My daughter worked at Lowes over 13 years ago when she was in nursing school, and said they had it even then, but they were never told to publicize it, or even how to get the discount applied......

Giz

Edited by SamMcGowan
misspelled word

I always get the 10% at Lowes and Home Depot with no questions asked. I too only found out about the discount at Lowes and Home Depot by someone at the next register asking about it. A few weeks prior to finding out about it, I had just spent a bunch of money at Lowes for all the materials for a new kitchen floor, so I took in all my receipts and they credited me the discount on everything I had bought.

Here in Summerville, SC, they give the 10% discount only if your VA card shows your disability is service connected.

Yep, that is supposedly the practice, but, at least here, all ya need is a VA card, and they honor it anyway......mebbe ya ought to move up here, Pat, naw I would advise STRONGLY against that!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, hey, hey hear ye, hear ye..............the Giz vs. VA has entered another round.............Got a phone call today, from MAINE, talked tio aguy who has been assigned my claim...................imported from B'more via Kentucky, says he will be handlin' it from here on, should be settled by the end of May, I guess he means THIS May. asked me about some inforation they needed, ALL of whioch I had already provided, and he does not have any of it. I may be wrong, but I think this guy may be of benefit to me, but what the hell happened to the other stuff, I don't know, but, US ELDERLY FOLKS, have gotten smart and saved the originals to all of it. In-f'ing-credible ain't it??????

• 2 weeks later...

This may be of interest to some and no surprise to Giz. This month's issue of VFW magazine has a couple articles discussing the sorry state of VA claims. To no ones surprise VA's promise to improve claim decisions is not meeting expectations, and if they don't do something about it soon the system will collapse with the influx of claims from the War on Terror. Of special interest to me was the lengthy discussion of the horrendous mess in the Baltimore MD. district office........

• 2 weeks later...

Hear ye, Hear ye, hear ye..............let it be known to all, finally, I have a hearing test tomorrow at Martinsburg VA center, AND a medical exam on the 22nd.......Now get this.......I am goin' to be in that area tomorrow anyway, so that works out, and I could have had the physical tomorrow as well, but could not be there for the time they had open.......So I go for the exam on the 22nd..... At least I am movin' forward now, after nearly 21 months. I know that is not necessarily a long time, but considerin' it laid in Baltimore for a year, in Kentuckly for 8 months,....My claim has been in Maine three weeks, thereabouts, and here I go.

Illigitimi non Carborundum

Giz

Okay, had a hearing test today..................guess what, the VA doc says i have some fairly significant high frequency hearing loss........... Told him to write it down so I can show my wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like eatin' an elephant, one bite at a time!!!!

Giz

Giz when I had my hearing test my girlfriend wanted a copy , she thought all this time I was just ignoring her

Well, Jerry, you have met my wife, all 285 lbs, 4-11 of her... well she bitched at me because I didn't answer her when she talked to me, I said well when you say somethin' worth acknowledging, I will.. OOOHHHH, bad, bad move!!!!!!!!!!!!

For Veterans in Florida with a VA disability (I'm 30% and I got one), for $1 you can get a lifetime free pass to all State parks (with a couple of exceptions).

From the Florida State Park Website:

Free Lifetime Military Entrance Passes for honorably discharged United States veterans who have service-connected disabilities.

Proof of identification, service-connected disability, honorable discharge and veteran or retired military status are required. Satisfactory written documentation to prove eligibility includes:

Personal identification (i.e.: driver license) and

Current official documentation from the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Veterans Affairs or an appropriate branch of one of those agencies, naming the bearer as having sustained a service-related disability, and

Most recent DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, showing the named individual's Character of Service as Honorable, or

Other current official documentation from the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Veterans Affairs or an appropriate branch of one of those agencies, naming the bearer as veteran, or retired military, or

Florida Department of Motor Vehicles driver license or identification card with a capital "V" designation printed on the card indicating the bearer is a veteran.

Here's the website: http://www.floridastateparks.org/thingstoknow/annualpass.cfm

Jim Houston

Home Depot will do the same only the cashier has the authority to apply the discount whereas at Lowe's only certain people have the authority.

Maybe like that in Atlanta, but the Lowes here in Fort Walton only requires you to show your ID at checkout. I think the same applies to Home Depot but it's farther from the house so I don't get over there as much.

Ron

Went to Lowes yesterday with the wife. I waited in the car while she went into the garden dept. I told her if she found anything, to call me and I'd come in so we'd get the 10% Military discount. She came out with a cart, and loaded stuff into the car. I asked her why she didn't call me and she said she didn't need to - they took HER DEPENDENT ID CARD and gave her the 10% discount!!! Don't know about any other Lowes, but the one here in Palm Coast has it all together as far as I'm concerned!!!