For all veterans with a service connected disability: (or if disabled)

• 2 weeks later...

Sam was at home depot last week in valdosta they said you have to be service conected to get the discount Ofcourse I told them that was wrong, she stated thats what there being told. So I guess you still havent got it fixed yet.

Just a little to add to this thread---A friend of mine, a retired Army Bird Colonel, told me that he recently purchased a riding lawn mower at Home Depot and presented his retired military card for his 10 % discount. He told me that he has been doing that for years--successfully, but not on that large of amount. They gave him what they said was their maximum discount which was $150.00 off. He was okay with that, but he also said Lowes will give a veteran the full 10% on any purchase no matter what the amount!! The above purchases have been in Billings MT so maybe not all of the stores are up to date on all policies.

I, myself, have never tried getting a discount from either place, but that's mostly because I forget it until later! Imagine that!!!!

Ken

My wife uses a tremendous amount of fabric and sewing materials in our business, and she got a coupn the other day for 20% military discount at Jo Ann Fabrics.... this is a one day thing, but it appears any evidence of current ore prior military service. I am no fan of handouts, but I wonder why more places don't do this........And to bring up an old story for us Nam vets, remember when hardly anyone even wanted to acknowledge our service, much less offer any discounts, etc?? Ken, ya better start rememberin' your discounts, you can buy more stuff that way...................

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity I sent an email to Lowe's Customer Service. Here's what I received back. It sounds like if you don't have an ID card you'll need your DD214.

Good Afternoon George,

Thank you for your email.

Lowe's established a 10 percent Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services, to honor Retired Veterans, and Veterans Affairs (VA) Recipients. This 10 percent discount is also extended to immediate family members of those currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

Qualifications for the Everyday 10 percent Military Discount:

You must be currently serving in, or retired from a qualifying branch of the Armed Services. Or be an immediate family member of someone who is and can present a valid Military ID card.

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who severed honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe's Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.

If you need any further assistance Ill be happy to help.

Thank you,

Shana P.

Lowes Customer Care

• 1 month later...

When Chris (tinwhistle) and I and our wives went to Yellowstone recently Chris showed a DAV card and we got in free. Also the ranger lady thanked Chris for his service!

Posted this just in case you didn't know about this service of the US Govt.

By the way Chris, thanks!! You saved me 1000 NT (I think) Wasn't 40 NT= $1 US dollar??-----I re-figured this and I think it would have been 625 NT

Now, after editing this twice I am still not sure what I am talking about-- Help, I think am having a Math attack!! Along with a bout of CRS

Ken

Edited by Mt.crewchief

Out of curiosity I sent an email to Lowe's Customer Service. Here's what I received back. It sounds like if you don't have an ID card you'll need your DD214.

You give them your VA card at Lowes, that's good enough, might not be in compliance with the company policy outlined here, but they don't seem to care. I've done it in three states, and have not had an issue yet. Of course, it was only about a year ago I learned of this......

• 2 years later...

Here is one benefit I never knew about until, oh maybe three months ago, Lowe's will give a 10% discount on ANYTHING if you have a military ID or VA ID. I found out this way.. was buyin' some stuff, went to cehck out and the cashier makes note of my C-130 cap, and asks if I am in the military, reckon she didn't see my 12 inch long pony tail. I said no, not now, but had been many, many years ago. She asked if I had a Va card or anything, I said yeah, and she proceeds to tell me about the discount, gets it authorized, and I been doin' that ever since. There was a small note on a door there about this, but nothin' that would catch your eye. My daughter worked at Lowes over 13 years ago when she was in nursing school, and said they had it even then, but they were never told to publicize it, or even how to get the discount applied......

Giz

This is not exactly right. Lowes and Home Depot will give discounts to active duty, retirees and DISABLED vets with proper ID all the time. They give discounts to all vets with proper ID on certain holidays