Nam ramp?

bobdaley

Looks like TSN to me, saw a VN 123 come taxin' in there one morning, goin' like bat outa hell, chopped the engines and proceeded to drive right into the the revetment wall.....mashed the nose damn near flat and about twenty of the little bastards came rollin out of everywhere on it, laughin' and hollerin' like they were at Six Flags......I remember thinkin' " And I'm over HERE, to help THAT?"""" That was probably some time in July, 72,,,,,,,,,,,,,Was it not there, also, somebody wrote on the walls"" We are the unwilling led by the incapable to do the impossible for the ungrateful??""

Look at some of the airfields on google earth. a lot of the revetments are still visible. DaNang had some on both sides near the refueling area, but I think that's where the c-47 psych birds were and those aren't. I don't remember revetments for C-130's at Saigon or CRB in 67/68 but I'm old and CRS.

Looks like TSN in '70-'71... (Det 1, 834th AD) We had C-123's and Herc's on Charlie row at that time.. I had a 'liquid lock' on a R-2800 and bent a rod on the front row..

It looks like the present operators have cleaned up Charlie row... Just a few wrecked Herc's there now and all neatly lined up...

(ATC tower seems in the wrong place)

Jack............

Edited by HercMX
Still looking at oix..

Look at some of the airfields on google earth. a lot of the revetments are still visible. DaNang had some on both sides near the refueling area, but I think that's where the c-47 psych birds were and those aren't. I don't remember revetments for C-130's at Saigon or CRB in 67/68 but I'm old and CRS.

I don't think there were any (or many) revetments at CRB in 67. Maybe they were being built in 68! There were definitely revetments there in 69 and 70! Also, I do remember some revetments at TSN in 69 and 70 the few times I was there!!

Ken

I was a crew chief at CRB during '67 and '68 and there were revetments on one end of the parking ramp. Our 130's were almost always parked in revetments. Once in awhile we were parked on the end with no revetments. I hope this is correct, as it was a long time ago. CRS!!!!

Dallas

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I remember the C130A's being in revetments at CRB in 1968 when I was there as a Maintenance Officer from Naha and the 374th TAW. They built the wonder shelters at Danang when I was there in 1969 with F4's and the 366th TFW. Maintenance Officers did not stay with a type of aircraft for long I was with four differnet type along with a couple of ICBM's by the time I retired. Once in SAC you did not get out.

I remember the C130A's being in revetments at CRB in 1968 when I was there as a Maintenance Officer from Naha and the 374th TAW. They built the wonder shelters at Danang when I was there in 1969 with F4's and the 366th TFW. Maintenance Officers did not stay with a type of aircraft for long I was with four differnet type along with a couple of ICBM's by the time I retired. Once in SAC you did not get out.

As I remember when I was at TSN in 1965/66, Rebel Ramp did not have revetments.

I was also in SAC at K.I. Sawyer, MI. The phrase up there was "A suck for SAC is a blow for freedom."

Don R.

• 1 month later...