Start-up Checklist

Whiskey-Charlie

I just went to "My Gallery" and checked out a couple pics of my old bird #877 that I have of the flight deck. I suffer greatly from CRS, but if I'm not mistaken, you will see the Engine Start Buttons located on the panel just above the pilot windshield. I noticed that the windshield wiper is stoped in the verticle position and if you look at the panel just above the wiper that should be the start buttons, nestled inside their protective shields. At least that's what I think I'm looking at!!!!! Keep in mind that that bird is a 1963 model "E" !!!!!!!!

Yep, those are the starter buttons. On the Es you have to hold them in until either the right RPM or the time limit.

I was a LM, but got some education from FEs I flew with - I seem to remember the starter buttons were held in by a solenoid and were released (popped) at some % or else the AC would pull the button out. Back in '67 we were flying back and forth between Turkey and Germany - started and ended in Turkey - after several trips, the AC said "turning 3", pushed in the starter and I called rotation ... he then pulled the button out and pushed it back in! Rotation stopped, and we got to spend the night in Munich while the CC changed the starter... (I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations has passed by now, besides, the AC passed away back in '95)...

I was a LM, but got some education from FEs I flew with - I seem to remember the starter buttons were held in by a solenoid and were released (popped) at some % or else the AC would pull the button out.

On E models and like variants (HC/MC-P&E/AC-H) the start button IS a solenoid, originally it was held in by the start circuit until the 65% speed switch in the starter opened the circuit and the button popped out; failing the button popping out the pilot was supposed to pull the button out at 70%

They de-energized this system some time in the dim past and the pilot had to hold the button in until 60% then let it go

• 8 years later...
On 2/19/2013 at 6:44 PM, GVS said:

Other than the starter duty cycle limit,the button pop out was to take place at a stated % RPM depending on which starter was installed.Some were 53% but most were 64%.This was on the "A" models. There was a small reverseable placcard just below the starter button with 64% on one side and 53% othe other.On an engine start the pilot,C/C or eng. man would,just before pressing the starter button say "turning #(say eng.) at plarccarded RPM.

If the button didn't pop by that RPM or just above it the button was to be pulled.