Inverters

DC10FE

Not sure if this thread should be here or in the technical section, so Casey can move it anywhere he wants.

The photo below is the FE panel for Tepper's N2731G (4582), or whatever its numbers are now. I say N2731G because all of their other Hercs have a real APU. This one has the Boeing 727 aftermarket APU and still has the fire handle labeled GTC.

Anyway, the most glaring thing I noticed is that there's only one inverter. WTF? I know I've been out of the Herc loop for a while, but I've never seen this. I heard many, many years ago that Southern Air Transport had a Herc with no inverters. Never saw that, though.

It also appears that #2 main tank might be off scale high, but there's no DMI sticker attached. Of course, Tepper and the other "dark operators" can operate above the law in most cases.

Don R.

Still has the scavenge flow off lights, that's a step back

Dan, unless my old eyes don't see them I don't see the scav flow off lights in that picture. Weren't they located just below the tank quantity gauges?

With only one inverter what is that for? Engine instruments or flight instruments? And what about the no inverter one? Don't they do self contained starts?

What's this, no formation lights? Oh my, how are they going to stay in formation? :rolleyes:

Well, Tepper has a Honeywell glass cockpit and the instrumentation and power requirements are very different than the round gauge configurations of the various military Herks. I'm pretty confident this is why there's only a single inverter...just like the Lynden Herks (same avionics).

Dan, unless my old eyes don't see them I don't see the scav flow off lights in that picture. Weren't they located just below the tank quantity gauges?

With only one inverter what is that for? Engine instruments or flight instruments? And what about the no inverter one? Don't they do self contained starts?

What's this, no formation lights? Oh my, how are they going to stay in formation? :rolleyes:

Sorry my bad eyes, I was seeing the fuel low press lights. The old scavenge flow off lights if memory serves were down next to the low press lights and crossfeed valves (or somewhere near there)