Intersting loads?

fryguyokc

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giz, that is an L-100 which has hardboard panels instead of quilted insulation blankets and the spider web is what they use to keep the load from smashing thru 245 if they bump into something hard on landing. L-100's don't use seats in the back. Bill

Giz, that is an L-100 which has hardboard panels instead of quilted insulation blankets and the spider web is what they use to keep the load from smashing thru 245 if they bump into something hard on landing. L-100's don't use seats in the back. Bill

Very interesting. So familiar, yet not. Thanks for the info!

Giz,

That spider web looking thing is a 10g barrier net. No side rails because it's a whole different loading system -- not for air drops. Usually used for loading "cookie sheet" pallets although we could also secure the heavier 463L type pallets.

Don R.

Giz,

That spider web looking thing is a 10g barrier net. No side rails because it's a whole different loading system -- not for air drops. Usually used for loading "cookie sheet" pallets although we could also secure the heavier 463L type pallets.

Don R.

Makes sense to me, now, thanks.........

KC-10s have a similar barrier net to separate cargo and pax/flight crew to effectively "catch" the load to prevent it from crushing pax/flight crew.

Not sure, but I would bet the barrier net is some sort of FAA requirement.

Don R.

Back in late 70s, we were flying in Saudi for a month or so (anyone remember the BAT missions?) and we picked up 2 1/2 tons of Kotex and flew it around . . . made four or five stops, at each one downloaded just a portion of the Kotex. That was our load for the day.

Same trip in Saudi, saw a contract forklift driver go hauling ass away from the airplane, make a sharp turn, and dump an entire pallet of "tea" rations off the forks . . . sad day, that was.

In Honduras in the mid-80s, carried a pallet of washers and dryers from Tegucigalpa into a remote dirt strip, did a combat offload, and left . . . five days later, another crew went to the same strip, and the pallet of washer/dryers was still there, sitting at the end . . . probably still there today.

Saw Don Rogers pass out once standing up, but that's a different thread . . . :)

kim

Back in late 70s, we were flying in Saudi for a month or so (anyone remember the BAT missions?) and we picked up 2 1/2 tons of Kotex and flew it around . . . made four or five stops, at each one downloaded just a portion of the Kotex. That was our load for the day.

Ahhh the good old Bat 60 mission, that was always the gravy TDY, a real good money maker too!!!

I started seeing these Herks delivering my mail (when I was mx on AWACS) while I was TDY to Riyahd then a couple years later I was on that C-130 delivering the mail to my old friends.

I have known several "Interesting Loads", hell some of them are probably still in the service.

They were always good for getting your butt in big trouble off station :)

Saw Don Rogers pass out once standing up, but that's a different thread . . . :)

kim

Kim,

I didn't pass out, I was just exhausted after a long day of flying. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! Was that in Saudi or your house in Abilene?

Don R.

At the house in Abilene. You and Norm Brander had stopped by. You were leaning against a wall in the kitchen, drinking a beer, when all of a sudden you just dropped the beer on the floor and started snoring . . . standing straight up. I thought Norm was going to chunk a lung he was laughing so hard.

Those first years at Rhein-Main when they reconstituted the 37th were the best times I ever had flying.

kim

I sure miss the good ole days of flying. When I went to Hercs everything was so regimented. Flying recips, they'd schedule a "weekend trainer" and leave it up to the crew as to where we went. Just get x amount of hours on the plane. One weekend we took a VT-29 to Offuit, pilot wanted to visit someone. It was an ok RON. Then on to Key West the next day. Better RON.

I had email contact with Norm for a while, he became a Headmaster at a private school back east, Virginia I think. Norm and I threw back a few bottles of French wine at Ubon.

Bob,

I'm still in sporadic contact with Stormin' Norman. His wife Patty passed away quite a few yaes ago of cancer, but he's since remarried. Here's a short bio of where he is now.

Click here: CMSgt Norman Brander, USAF (Ret) | Randolph-Macon Academy We were in wing stan eval together at Rhein Main. Great guy.

Don R.

Those first years at Rhein-Main when they reconstituted the 37th were the best times I ever had flying.

kim

Yep, had some great times and great trips; the Saudi mini rote, embassy support trips, Reforger, short field landing training at Grafenwoer, etc, although they treated us like we were a PCS rote squadron. That took it's toll on quite a few marriages -- mine included.

Don R.

Yep, had some great times and great trips; the Saudi mini rote, embassy support trips, Reforger, short field landing training at Grafenwoer, etc, although they treated us like we were a PCS rote squadron. That took it's toll on quite a few marriages -- mine included.

Don R.

Amen to that Don. You heard the expression "my wife is going to get pregnant and I want to be there"? Well I wasn't.

kim

Was it manifested as spill absorbent material?

• 2 weeks later...

Don, Thanks for the update, but I remember his wife as Slyvee a cute French girl. She and my wife came to Thailand at the same time. Your right in that he was a great guy, bit of a party animal in his younger years.

Bob,

I forgot about his French wife. They divorced when we were at Rhein Main. He married Patty a short while later. She was an air traffic controler stationed at Spangdahlem. She worked the tower there.

Don R.

• 1 month later...

Not sure who it was - but someone's interesting load was me. The flight from CCK to Clark. This was the days before baby car seats. Load had to be secured and all personnel had to be strapped in. I was put into one of those plastic washtubs and secured.

I hauled combat loaded pax on a refugee evac one time and arrived with one more passenger than I left with.