DAK TO mortar attack correction of information november 15 1967.

airfix1338

hello all,i have found something of interest in an old partwork magazine-warmachine issue 101 published by orbis publications in 1985 on page 2012-in an article about VC mortar attacks called THE NIGHT BELONGS TO CHARLIE -2 pictures of C-130E 62-1865 C/N 3829 with the tailcode DH clearly visible-it is the tailcode of the 345 TAS, yet on all lists i have seen about the destruction of this aircraft it is listed as a 776 TAS aircraft-tailcoded DL-like its sistership 63-7827 C/N 3904 tailcode DL-both were destroyed on the ground by VC mortar attack on 15 NOVEMBER 1967 at DAK TO,REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM. the pictures show the aircraft being destroyed and on fire-thankfully no-one was killed.the picture is credited to THE ASSOCIATED PRESS.one other aircraft was damaged and repaired and flown out later.in the wikipedia list of C-130 CRASHES they are listed as destroyed by rockets-not mortars as it should be.does anyone wish to discuss this?please reply,regards simon.

USAF accident reports and also those of combat losses identify the ownership of the aircraft by the squadron of the crew operating the aircraft. When I was at CCK there were 6 E model squadrons 4 PCS PACAF Squadrons and 2 TDY TAC squadrons. Theoretically each squadron had 16 aircraft assigned. I think there were over 100 total. On any given day you could be flying an aircraft from any of the 6 squadrons. So if the tail said DH and it was being operated by a 776 crew it would be listed as a 776 loss.

Bob

Hi Bob, how are you? I was just wondering about the accounting for the loss of an aircraft. If the plane was a 345th plane and was lost while being operated by a 776st crew wouldn't the 345th still be missing 1 aircraft? Irealize we are dealing with Military logic and counting so maybe my question is what doesn't make sense. On another subject, we will be having a Memorial day celebration here in Grand Prairie so if you haven't got anything to do why don't you come and share with us. They also have a free lunch if you're not afraid of Hot Dogs , Chips Lemonade and Cookies.

We also host the Run for the Wall riders on their trip to Washington DC. It is quite a sight to see so many of our fellow Vets cone through here.