C-130A HERCULES TAIL NUMBERS OF THE VNAF

airfix1338

Hello all,does anyone have a list of the C-130A HERCULES that escaped from TAN SON NHUT in 1975 and landed in THAILAND at U TAPAO AFB in late April and that were subsequently flown to Guam in early May?There were 9 aircraft in all,I have some but not all of their identities-I would particularly like serial number and tailcode tie-ups,such as 56-0518/HCM.Personnel at both locations may be able to help, in addition 5 VNAF C-130A were in Singapore getting their wings repaired when THE REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM was conquered-does anyone know their identities? All 5 were repaired and went to the USAF. I know about the C-130A that escaped and was impounded there earlier on, (57-0460/HCF)lastly, does anyone know what happened to the ex-VNAF C-130A that escaped to Singapore on 24/11/79? If anyone has any pictures aswell that would be great too.Any info will be gratefully received,please reply,regards simon.

There is some good discussion on the evacuation in this thread:

http://www.c-130hercules.net/showthread.php?t=4045&page=2

The 15 below escaped from TAN SON NHUT in 1975. I'm not sure which one were were subsequently flown to Guam.

[TABLE="width: 200"]

[TR]

[TD="width: 64, bgcolor: transparent"][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0475[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0495[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0518[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]57-0460[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]55-0012[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]55-0034[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0479[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0545[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]55-0008[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]55-0027[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0483[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0500[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0524[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0543[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]57-0472[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

An interesting Herk story. I have tried for years to get all the details but not much luck.

As part of "Project Enhance Plus" in 1972 it was decided to give the SVAF 32 C-130A's, 16 from AFRES and 16 from the ANG.

20 aircraft were identified from each and in the case of AFRES 19 headed off to SVN. I have never been able to find out how the ANG handled their part.

Along the way 3 A's broke down and were replaced by the flying spares. Anyhow 32 A's did arrive in SVN. by the end of 73 3 Roman nosed A's were replaced by 3

more AFRES A's. The reasons I heard for this were lack of parts for the old radar and SVAF thought the planes were too ugly. Take your pick.

Anyhow of the final 32 15 were returned to the USAF, 8 were originally stored at TSN and 9 were lost in accidents and combat.

I will try to attach an excel spread sheet I had on this. I have only been able to tie up about 1/2 of the USAF numbers with their Vietnamese Tail letters.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

SVAF.xls

There is some good discussion on the evacuation in this thread:

http://www.c-130hercules.net/showthread.php?t=4045&page=2

The 15 below escaped from TAN SON NHUT in 1975. I'm not sure which one were were subsequently flown to Guam.

[TABLE="width: 200"]

[TR]

[TD="width: 64, bgcolor: transparent"][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0475[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0495[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0518[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]57-0460[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]55-0012[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]55-0034[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0479[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0545[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]55-0008[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]55-0027[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0483[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0500[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0524[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]56-0543[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]57-0472[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

55-0008 is now operated by International Air Response out of Mesa, AZ as N130SA. It wouldn't surprise me if they change the registration to conform with their existing fleet format, i.e. N1xxTG.

The 130 shop at Hqs. TAC looked at the tail number listing being sent to the VNAF. In this group there were three 54 models with APS 42 radar. Because of this TAC advised AFRES to substitute 55 or later aircraft with APN 59 radar. As Bob stated above these three aircraft were later returned because of problems maintaining the obsolete radar including lack of test equipment, spares and qualified techs.

The plan called for one sqd. to be maintained by contractor (LSI) and the other by blue suiters. TAC was tasked to provide the blue suiters. The DP provided us with a roster of all personnel with A model experience. After ensuring selected personnel were available the DP sent them notification of a 180 day TDY to RVN. Needless to say this caused much consternation within the ranks.

N120TG I hear!

Bob

Bob: You're correct, as usual. FAA Registry confirms that it's in process.

Makes sense as it fills the gap between N119TG and N121TG. So, the five flyable aircraft would run from N117TG thru N121TG.

They owned an A model registered as N120TG twenty years ago but I believe it was sold to a Mexican company sometime in the 90's. Fritz would know.

Bob: You're correct, as usual. FAA Registry confirms that it's in process.

Makes sense as it fills the gap between N119TG and N121TG. So, the five flyable aircraft would run from N117TG thru N121TG.

They owned an A model registered as N120TG twenty years ago but I believe it was sold to a Mexican company sometime in the 90's. Fritz would know.

That's an opening for a joke about illegals and low levels/CDS but it might not be PC.

Just made me curious. I found

N116TG 3086 W/O in France 2000, Original N119TG 3145 Sold in Mexico, N125TG 3138 Reserved and N126TG 3142 Reserved.

I also found 5 that may have been owned by IAR or its predecessor T&G 3089, 3104, 3149, 3189, 3224 but I could not find any TG registrations. 3138, 3142, 3189 are still stored at Coolidge looking pretty sad!

Bob

• 9 months later...

hello bob,sorry for the delay in replying to your answer (the file you uploaded).I have a few questions...first 56-0505..i have never been able to confirm its existence beyond 29/4/75...yet other sources state it was captured at Tan Son Nhut after that date-in my opinion this was the C-130A shot down by SA-7 missile attack as described by MR RICHARD ARMITTAGE.I have never seen this aircraft on the ground anywhere !do you have any proof of its existence?

after 1975 there were 7 A models confirmed as stored at TSN, 56-0505 was reported as one of them but I have not confirmed it.

Last year there were 4 A models still there. 5 I have confirmed 55-0001, 55-0005, 56-0476, 56-0519, 56-0532 now at Khe Sanh Museum.

That left three I could not confirm and 2 of them were at TSN, 55-0013, 56-0496, 56-0505. 505 may have been shot down like you say.

Bob

Edited by bobdaley

next 56-0542 GZL -you put this tailcode on your list-I have never been able to confirm this tie-up....how did you? this aircraft was destroyed by an artillery attack on 29/4/75 along with 56-0489 GZJ and one other Hercules-all were next to each other at Tan Son Nhut.a film is on YOUTUBE of Viet Nam in May 1975 taken by someone who goes onto Tan Son Nhut airfield and films the remains of this aircraft but it is too fuzzy to see the serial number...could you see it?

No I did not see it, I do have a picture of 56-0489 and the GZJ 56-0489 is visible

Bob

Edited by bobdaley

next 54-1634-this aircraft is listed by you as HCO tailcode-this is incorrect-this should be 54-1640.

That tail code came from a Vietnamese site and you maybe correct. I have it in my other file as 1640 maybe HCO. Can't confirm it.

Bob

Edited by bobdaley

next 55-0013 HCD-this is the correct tailcode for this aircraft-a clear picture of this is on AIRLINERS website if you look in your search of airports at TAN SON NHUT.

I tried HCD and 55-0013, and Lockheed and Vietnam AF at TSN on Airliners.net and found nothing?

Bob

Edited by bobdaley

Hello again bob,the picture of 55-0013/HCD is credited to ANDRE WADMAN and is number 198 of 1527 photos of his on AIRLINERS.NET-it is not described as a C-130A-on the site go to the countries/airports list and scroll down to VIETNAM-on the airports list for the country pick TAN SON NHUT and pick 120 pictures only per page-you will find on page 13 a picture of ANTONOV 26s with ex-VNAF C-130A Hercules in the background-clearly showing their tailcodes-including 55-0013/HCD.i hope this helps-PS there is another photo on page 11.Please reply,regards simon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon

I tried what you said, went to Airliners.net, went to Ho Chi Minh City and got only 6 pages at 120 per page. There was a total of 705 pics. There was no page 11 or 12.

You can snail mail me at

5965 Royal Crest Dr

Dallas TX 75230

or email me thru the web site.

Thanks

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got an interesting e mail today from Paul Zethof today. He just spent a month in Viet Nam.

Some pics of 56-0532 in the Museum at Khe Sanh. I attached a couple.

He said he did not see any A's at Tan Son Nhut. Last report I had said 4 were there a few months ago and the most recent Google Earth pic, Nov 2013, shows 4 but they could all be beer cans by now.

He also made a copy from a Museum of a Herk pic. It appears to show 001 which was 55-0001 still flying in 1979.

Good stuff

Thanks a lot Paul.

Bob